« Louis Adams - MIA Response | Main | Sarah Vang: Visiting Artist Response »

TSINU- Artist Response

My visit to the MIA was the first of its kind. I have never been to a museum of that size. So, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. From the moment I walked in, the quietness, the size of the room and many interesting paintings and crafts hanging all over the place caught my attention. In all honestly, the couple of times I have been to some type of exhibition or a museum, I have found it to be extremely boring and uninteresting. However, this time it was different. The varieties of things presented in different exhibition rooms have something to offer for everyone. As I walked around the big museum before getting to my final destination, I have come across many interesting pieces I would love to take time and look at. From ancient classic art forms to contemporary, the museum is decorated with a collection of fine arts
What made my trip an absolute new experience is the sound and video exhibition by Artist Abinadi Meza. For most of us, the idea of a museum consists of old paintings and 16 century statues. However, one look at Abinadi Meza’s presentation will change your perception instantly. I know it changed mine. The minute I walked into the dark room my ears could ear loud noises before my eyes could see anything. This changes the whole notion of going to an art museum, as most of us go expecting to see something rather than hearing it. The sound is overwhelming and coming from every direction. I was forced to stop and try to identify the many sounds coming off the speakers. But when I looked at the projected image on the wall, it made it possible for me to identify the sounds little by little. As we see a person walking around with a flash light in the empty museum, we hear the sound of a large crowed. Possibly the kind of crowed you would find in any museum. It sort of gave me a spooky feeling as I understood the sound to be traces of the many people who visited this museum over the years. I found Abinadi Meza’s work very appealing because it made me feel like I was part of the shows as the camera and the flash light seem to move from the audience’s perspective.
In comparison, Richard Rock’s work portrays the same type of message. But he presents it in a totally different way. His work, even though interesting, it’s what you typically would expect to find in a museum. They are paintings of things you would find if you take the time to walk around in the very museum you’re in. However, I didn’t get the same type of feeling I got looking at Abinadi’s work. Even though they both tried to recreate the feeling of being in a museum, Abinadi’s work I believe was much more successful in drawing me in as audience than Richard Rock’s pieces. Over all, it was a very pleasant experience and I will be sure to go back some time soon.