« Louis Adams Project 3 Write Up | Main | Ashley Man and His Machine »

Ken Shores Project 3

Download file

My video was an experience in a highly technical work. Though I feel it's a bit short, between stop motion and clips under 10s in length, the video finishes out at around a minute and a half long. This video was intended to be a lot of time involved setting up the shots, and then again a lot of work in the post-production editing. In that regard, I think it was a success - I barely managed to finish with my schedule in mind, logging well over 12 hours setting up and shooting, and another 10 or more in the lab editing. For the first time, I feel like I've done more than simply string video and sound clips together with pictures, and that was my primary goal for this project. The narrative of the video, that of the LEGO man obtaining the crystal, was "arbitrary," and was done as such because it fit very well with the theme of the machine I was building - An overly complex set of ramps, levers, ropes and misc objects that accomplished a very simple task. I also got a chance to work in Photoshop, which I have some experience with, though I've never had a serious goal behind using it.
The first shooting never happened, because I couldn't obtain a camera, but I took the afternoon to construct the machine anyways. Thinking myself done, when I re-assembled it, I spent another 5 hours adding to it and finally taking my shots. I'm glad I'd spent time thinking about shots and setting in the time between the two shooting dates, because it made the footage a lot easier to work with when I got it into production. All of the shots were taken at the library in my residence hall, and they were taken after sunset, to maintain a much more controlled lighting than I experienced when shooting my second project.
I am satisfied with this project and how it turned out, and while I worry that the amount of work invested might not seem apparent in contrast to the length, I have been assured by the one or two people who've already seen it that I've done a good job - Now I really want to see what it looks like projected on a screen. I won't preface my presentation with this, but during the portion with the video clips being strung together, I hope people will be able to follow the action well - Since I've overlayed different portions of the track from different segments of footage, (at least on a small screen) it seems like it might be a lot to follow, especially for someone who hasn't seen the full machine in person. But capturing the scope of the machine without actually showing it was one of my ultimate goals. And I think I've accomplished it.