Alina Cheng Project 3

Download file

Continue reading "Alina Cheng Project 3" »

Alina Cheng Artist Response

Continue reading "Alina Cheng Artist Response" »

Alina Cheng Project 3 Proposal

For my final project, I would like to do a commercial from De Beers. I don’t want to reenact a commercial; I would like to make one up for myself. I think it will have influences from the other commercials, but mine won’t be exactly the same as any of the existing ones.
I would like to do this for my final project because I already made a “cutesy? and childlike movie for my first stop motion, and the “Peter Pan? remake was also from a children’s movie- and I feel that both of these were very noisy and dramatic pieces. There is nothing wrong with them; I just want to try something different. I want to make something more adult, and something that looks real- as if the commercial could really exist. I really want the commercial to look well done and polished enough to look as though it could be on T.V.
I had a faint idea that I wanted a stop motion again, but this time in black and white. I wanted the mood that comes with black and white- and a love story within it. I feel that it gives it almost an old fashioned times aura, like it took place in the 1920-50s. I had thought about doing a housewife’s story, but it didn’t really speak to me as much as I thought it would. I saw a De Beers commercial on youtube.com and was inspired enough that I wanted to do something similar.
In my commercial, I would have a narrator tell the story of a man who passes a girl everyday, and can’t get her out of his mind. Finally, he decides that he wants her forever so he gives her a diamond- because a diamond and love are forever.
Here is what I was thinking the narrator could say. The shots would correspond with what the narrator would say. These lines are rough, but a general idea of what I want, and I think it’ll make more sense when I put it together with the pictures.
“Lost in reverie, he doesn’t notice her approach.?
“But then the look.?
“The touch?
“The separation?
“Again and again, day by day this kept happening. He didn’t want this. He wanted her to stay.?
“And then he knew what to do.?
And then written at the end, “Love (and diamonds) is forever?
There would be multiple shots of the man and woman passing each other and looking back at each other. There would also be multiple shots of close ups of their faces and them looking at each other. At the end, I would show him putting the ring on her, and then the two of them walking away together.
I’m actually debating whether or not I want a narrator, but I think once I have all the shots and recorded the narrator’s part, I will know is it works or not.

Alina Cheng Project 2

Download file

Continue reading "Alina Cheng Project 2" »

Alina Cheng: Project 2 Proposal

The scene I would like to remake is from the movie “Peter Pan,? made in 2003. The specific scene I would like to remake is starting from when Pan and Hook are in the final fight scene. Hook starts to talk about how Wendy was leaving Pan, and starts to chip away at Pan’s confidence and spirit, until Pan finally falls. He can’t get up, and smiles a little at Wendy when he is about to be killed. Right before Hook stabs him, Wendy interrupts, and says her final good bye, and gives him a surprise kiss. The kiss revitalizes him, and he is happy, and gets his fighting spirit back. This scene shows Wendy and some kids crying, and also made my sister cry.
This scene makes some people cry, because of the emotions it invokes in people. It makes people cry because it shows the emotional breakdown of Pan, a final goodbye, and a remembrance of how love can solve anything (or at least it does in movies). I chose this scene because of this, and because I like how it portrays the pain of growing up in a very extreme sense, and how the kiss restores people’s faith in love and goodness.
I will film the scene outside. A problem that arises is doing an interpretation of the flying and fighting. I think I will have Pan and Hook fighting on a playground jungle, and when Pan falls, he’ll fall to the ground. The other problem, a technical one, is the lighting. The lighting in the movie is very dramatic, deliberate and noticeable. The happy scenes are pink and bright, and the sad ones are blue and gray. I’m not sure yet how to do that in the remake, but I think I will play with the settings on Final Cut Pro. As for the style and technique, I’m not sure what styles and techniques I would be able to do, so I think I will hold off on that. I could film the entire sad scene in black and white, for dramatic effect, and the other parts in color. But I just have to see if it works with the remake. The people will be wearing modern clothes, I think, but that may change. I just don’t know where I would get the costumes. I don’t know if I’ll have as many people on the “boat? aka Lost Boys and pirates, I think I would keep it to the important characters.
I’m not sure who to cast as any of the characters, but I think I will be one of the Lost Boys, or one of Wendy’s brothers. I will have to think more deeply about who will fit each character, because I want each actor to have at least some characteristics of the character they’d be playing.

Alina Cheng Project 1

Download file

Continue reading "Alina Cheng Project 1" »

Alina: Project One Proposal

My stop motion animation project is going to be about revenge, but in a humorous, childlike way. I will start by “floating? over a bed, sleeping, when suddenly, my little sister comes, shakes me awake, and then runs away giggling. I become very angry, and I will “teleport? downstairs and chase my sister around for awhile. After I corner her, I’ll “magically? change her drink to empty, make her sweat shirt disappear (of course she’ll be wearing something underneath), and lastly, put her hair in a weird hairdo.
The tricks I will incorporate is the floating over the bed, which I will do by jumping up on the bed in a certain pose, then snapping a shot at the right time. I’ll do multiple of these and the little variances will make it seem as if I were floating. The second trick I will do is the teleportation. I’ll show a shot of me in my bedroom, the next shot will be an empty bedroom. After that, a shot of the downstairs will be taken, with the next one with me in it. I want to add a third trick, which is the “revenge for waking me up.? For these shots, the change from the full glass of soda to an empty one is a process in which I will show a photo of her with an empty class after the previous shots in which she had a full one. The same will be done with the sweatshirt and hair. It will be as if I point and these things happen.
I will include sounds. It’ll add more to the project in the sense that it will be more interesting and humorous. The sounds will be recorded, by me, and perhaps my costar too. I will shoot the photos at my house, which makes the most sense. I don’t need any props except for the soda and the sweatshirt. As for style and technique, I will most likely keep it simple, as I am inexperienced with photography. However, I will try to manually set up the settings of the camera so that the images will be consistent in lighting and color.
I am sure many people have experienced the annoyances of having a younger sibling, and the fact that kids experience similar exasperations made me want to do this plot. I added humor to express that although they are annoying, all is forgiven and forgotten, and having a sibling is fun.
Doing any type of photography other than for recreation purposes is new for me, so it will be fun to do a project that involves taking so many. I will explore how the different settings on the camera (of which I previously had always ignored) changes the photograph. Not only is the camera a new experience, but the program we will be using (of which I have never used before) on the computer will be fun to play with.