Breanne Subias, Final Project

I know this isn't the right way to put this on here. I'll fix it later.

https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/12768

Continue reading "Breanne Subias, Final Project" »

Breanne Subias: Project 2

Download file

Continue reading "Breanne Subias: Project 2" »

Breanne Subias, Visiting Artist Response

I'm not exactly sure this is the kind of "response" you were looking for, as the visiting artist response guidelines don't seem to be functioning (it could very well just be my junky computer, but the pdf opens and nothing is in it. I've tried several times). But anyway, the following is what resulted from simply following what is on the syllabus. I hope it is sufficient. If it isn't, I would appreciate it if you'd let me know (subi0007@umn.edu) so I can fix it.

Continue reading "Breanne Subias, Visiting Artist Response" »

Breanne Subias, Final Project Proposal

Concept about dreams where your teeth fall out, which is apparently the most frequently reported dream image. Read on.

Continue reading "Breanne Subias, Final Project Proposal" »

Breanne Subias: Project 2 Proposal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd4ahGQTDYA&feature=related

Continue reading "Breanne Subias: Project 2 Proposal" »

Breanne Subias: Project 1

Download file

Continue reading "Breanne Subias: Project 1" »

Breanne Subias: Project 1 Proposal

The following idea was inspired by a conversation with my mother and a fish tank in dire need of a cleaning. During my recent few days at home, it came to the attention of my mom that my sister had let her beta’s tank go for quite a bit longer than it should have. I wouldn’t have wanted to live in that water; the fish looked drained and bored and lethargic in its contaminated environment (he’s much happier in his now unclouded water). The conversation with my mother centered upon being generally overwhelmed. We talked about work and school, and the feeling of expending a lot of energy on something that ultimately doesn’t work out, only to be piled with another task of the same caliber.

So this is what I came up with. In front of a white background, there is a clear container, much like a fishbowl. It sits empty. I add a little clear water to begin, and then move to adding more things to the bowl. As time goes on, the things added to the bowl get progressively dirtier. I was thinking of starting by sprinkling in a few colored rocks, then moving on by the end to things like strips of old newspaper, clumps of hair or pieces of garbage. Periodically throughout the duration of the piece, I will hold up a small sign that says “full?? or “enough?? At the end I will add one last, very small item that will cause the container to overflow filthy water, and then I will force in one last dirty element to make the water gush from the receptacle. The last sign will say “full.? or “enough.? It will have no question mark after it.

I may not actually incorporate this, but I have thought of incorporating sounds periodically to evoke some game show imagery, but visuals will not correspond. This contrast will mostly play on the “Let’s see if we can fit more. Sure we can!? aspect of the piece, corresponding with external expectations of the real world, its effects on a person, and what happens when you “lose.? The placement of the items into the receptacle will be stop action and use a quick sequence of photographs. The parts incorporating the cards will simply be videotaped. I am still a little confused as to what kinds of “tricks? are expected of this project, but I believe the varied use of stop-action for the actual moving segments and regular video footage for the still parts will make it seem as if the placing of the items in the container is happening rapidly and over an extended period of time with few rest stops.