Project 3 Proposal - Ken Shores

I am planning on doing a video project surrounding a Rube Goldberg machine. If you are not familiar with the concept of a Rube Goldberg machine, here is an excellent example of several in a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_smJ5NPMheY

Continue reading "Project 3 Proposal - Ken Shores" »

Project 3 Proposal - Ken Shores

Ken Shores Project 2

Download file

Continue reading "Ken Shores Project 2" »

Visiting Artist Response - Ken Shores

Response to the Graffiti Research Lab's talk during the Spark festival, presented on the 27th of February, 2008.

Continue reading "Visiting Artist Response - Ken Shores" »

Ken Shores Project Proposal 2

I have chosen to re-enact the break-up scene from Cruel Intentions.

Continue reading "Ken Shores Project Proposal 2" »

Ken Shores: Project 1 Proposal

Download file

Continue reading "Ken Shores: Project 1 Proposal" »

Ken Shores: Project 1 Proposal

The story outline for my stop-motion animation project is that of two characters on a date. They are at an establishment of fine dining, just beginning a romantic meal, perhaps the second or third “date.� The video will begin with shots of the outside of the building, and narration cluing the views in to the scene. The third, key character will be the narrator. As their drinks arrive, the camera will join them in the restaurant, and the narration will continue. The characters will communicate with one another through subtitles or “moving mouths� followed by a screen relaying the text. The narration will also continue, and it will become quickly apparent that the male character is able to hear the narrator. The story will continue through the typical motions of the meal while the man is listening, and eventually arguing with the narrator, whom the girl has no perception of. The man, realizing this, will try to cover up and ignore the narrator, and then the narrator will begin “teleporting� objects, emptying glasses, and disrupting the evening, and the man will try to cover this up, explain it away, apologize, etc. The ending will be a ruined date, perhaps a drink-soaked man, with the man trudging off home. As the woman exits the restaurant, she very clearly, quickly and quietly thanks the voice, “I owe you one,� “again next week?�(Or something similar). Throughout the animation it is presumed, and defiantly the source of most of the humor, that she does not understand what’s going on.
Influences for this are several internet animations on youtube, one of the primary videos being “Dr Tran.� I’m fairly certain this has been done to some extent before, but I haven’t seen this idea specifically played out on video. I expect there to be several “small� tricks, such as moving food and drinks, emptied or swapped glasses, etc. Also “forcibly moved hands or body language� that surprises the man as much as the woman, and probably gets him slapped. Many of the tricks will involve props, but I plan on mostly using props directly from the set, i.e. should the “romantic fine dining� take place at a McDonalds, we’ll order some food and use that.
I’ve played around a lot with photography, and for me it might be harder not to “notice a better way to take shots� and go back than to do a decent setup of the shots. I also know that I’ll have to find a place to take the images, and am considering either fast food or occupying an after-hours place (near starbucks?) in CMU.