Visiting Artist Response: Trisha Brown

My Visiting Artist Response is done on Trisha Brown, one of the most important modern dance pioneer, dancer, choreographer, and artist. She is one of the artists that was most noticed during the postmodern era alongside with other famous choreographer such as Yvonne Rainer and Steve Paxton, and is considered one of the experimental choreographers who showcased her work in the emerging Judson Group. Her fascination with the limits of her body and use of different spaces and defying and cooperating with gravity, led to her many unique creations that to this day stands out in the dance world.
This year in the dance world in the Twin Cities, it is hailed as the Year of Trisha, with a reconstruction of Set and Reset/Reset by the University of Minnesota dance students that summarizes the classic Trisha Brown movement vocabulary, live drawing performance by Trisha herself of So the Audience Does Not Know When I Have Stopped Dancing, the reconstruction of Planes exhibition at the walker that runs through July 20, and a performance by the Trisha Brown Dance Company at the Northrop Auditorium on University of Minnesota campus.
Currently I’m a part of her reconstruction Planes that is at exhibition at the Walker Art and I had the opportunity to meet her and rehearse with her. Although she is not known as a visual artists, she has collaborated with many, and Planes in particular is a multi-media live performance exhibition that will interest different spectrum of artists. The installation consists of a 20 ft tall wall with holes the size of a person’ hand located all over the fall. Each performance includes 3 performers that move at the speed of tai chi, which combined with the video projection of aerial view of cities and images that give discombobulated feel to the viewer. The performers wear a two panel colored jumpsuit which depending on which side the performers are climbing on the wall, will either blend in with the wall, or stand out of the wall giving a tumbling sensation to any gazer’s eye.
The installation was a progressive one, first with the experimentation of the body at a vertical wall, that led to images of climbers rolling on plane, to a falling image that is enhanced with the visual projection. The piece being 17 minutes long, it is exhausting as a performer. Because as a dancer I am used to going with or against gravity, to appear as though gravity does not exist was a new challenge. Rather than when letting a limb go on the wall, it is important not to immediately let gravity take over, but to pretend as if you were in space yourself, hence when I let go an arm, dropping it vertically would ruin the illusion.
I have several opportunities to watch the installation myself and the illusion that the art piece was able to project was pretty amazing.

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I would like to attempt to film my senior piece I have created for my Senior Seminar class. It is a 9 minute dance piece that was created based on the inspiration of home, and rather than filming it through the lens of audience and performer line, I want to experiment methods to draw the viewer closer to the dance. The traditional way of filming at the line of audience and performer, video tends to strip all ornaments such as costumes and lighting and makes the dance seem bare. To avoid that, I would have to film close-ups throughout the dance, and focus more on the emotional side of dancers.
I’m hoping for a miracle that there is a sunny day that ALL of my seven dancers can meet together, but I plan to shoot this by the park next to the Guthrie Theater where there is a hill and pathways which I think it would be scenic and perfect for my piece. I would like to try long shots and close-ups from multiple angels so the dance would have to be done several times. Before I talked about inserting images, but I don’t think I will do that anymore. Hopefully I could do this at one shot.

Project 2 - Katherine Lung

https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/10322

Project 2 Proposal- Katherine Lung

The scene I chose for this project is from the prologue with Hugh Grant narrating on love, from Love Actually. I personally don't see why this is a cry scene, but I can see that it does tug at the heart a bit. Hugh Grant talks about when he's down, he likes to think about the people that just came off from the plane at the airport - and the film scopes on the first moment of arrivals, reunions, and moments that shows intimacy between two people. And that love is actually all around.

I hope to shoot the scenes either by actually going to the airport, or waiting outside and get footage by chance technique, or just simply recreate it with friends. The focus is on the meeting of two people and the interactions and the different kind of intimacy so the setting would be set simple, perhaps using one of the studios from the theatre/dance building. Sounds I will try to look for a file with a simple ambience mood, and the narration would be by one of my friends/or last resort, me. Rather then having the actors being up front, I hope to have enough people in front of them so it seems like looking through a microscope.

Katherine Lung Project 1

Download file

Katherine Lung Project 1

My project was inspired by the idea of ghost figures that haunts every stage and theater, in this case, the "Barker Ghost" that a lot of the dance majors in the Barbara Barker building talks about. In this story, Renee, the dancer/choreographer comes into the building one night trying to choreograph but comes up with nothing, which is apparent in the blank notebook. Jin-Ming who plays the ghost, follows her and watches her wants to have some fun and takes Renee's notebook. The cat and mouse chase happens here, the dancer trying to get her notebook back from the mischievous ghost. At the end of a hallway, the ghost gives the dancer back the notebook and there's things written down on notebook which was blank before. In the perfect world I would've inserted a dance film at the end, but since I haven't had time to rehearse it with the dancers I decided not to include it... besides the fact that it wasn't a good version of the dance itself.

I came with some vague layout of my shooting sessions with the actors which I think time would've been much more efficient if I thought the project through previously and know the exact angle shots and picture proportion, etc because at the end I had to schedule three shooting sessions in total, which was really hard to coordinate with my schedules and their schedules considering they have previous commitments to other art projects. In the beginning where the shot starts at the outside of the building, eventually moving into the studio, I tried to setup the place and also the view of the person who was walking into the studio. The dropping of the mitten (which doesn't really look like it from the angle I took) allowed the ghost to enter and pick it up. I tried playing with the ghost's visibility and invisibility with angle switches. The cat and mouse scene in the lobby of the building was a great place to shoot since there are so many ways that I can show them running after/away from each other. It was a really time consuming project but in the process I've learned a lot about filming (and how important it is to plan ahead) and directing and communicating what I wanted with my collaborators.

Katherine Lung: Project Proposal 1

For my project I would like to play with the concept of theater ghosts. Theater and Dance majors always jokes around about theater ghosts, in this case the dance major building right next to Regis. Occasionally we have unknown things happen like mysterious bouquet of flowers placed in the lobby, or lights going off by itself (pretty sure there’s someone behind these but when no one claims these random happenings we just credit the Barker Ghost) but just to play with that idea, and to help with my senior projects, I want to play and see how I can adapt dance onto film. This may bleed into my senior project.
A story would be of a student rehearsing in a theater space, and gets stuck on ideas. Plays around with materials a bit but doesn’t get inspired, until the student starts hearing things. Eventually the “ghost? appears and through interaction, the student finds his inspiration, but then the ghost disappears. At the end, the student wakes up realizes that it was all a dream, but the ghost leaves proofs that everything was real. And hopefully that would translate on screen.
I really don’t know much special tricks, I will have to talk to others about that, but besides the camera and using stop-motion technique, I think I will have to choreograph a short phrase of dance since it… obviously relates to dance and what’s a dance without a dance. The Diffusion trick would be useful in making the ghost appear ethreal.