Sable - Arist Response - Abinadi Meza

Abinadi Meza - "Found Voice"

Continue reading "Sable - Arist Response - Abinadi Meza" »

Michael Sable - Project 3 Review

Download file

Continue reading "Michael Sable - Project 3 Review" »

Sable - Final Video Proposal

For my final project, I plan to do a mock-up of a video game called Counterstrike: Source. The reasons why I would like to do this are fairly straight-forward. On project 2, I focused on a video that required complicated shooting (i.e. scene cuts constantly, angles are more difficult, etc). In the video game (and how it will be in the shots as well) all the video is from a 1st person view. This means that [most] video will be shot from a shoulder mount. In contrast to the shooting becoming much easier, the editing will be much more difficult. In the style of the game, I will overlay frames on top of the video to resemble the HUD and other elements (example photos included below). The video will split between several character’s perspectives, but there will be significantly fewer cuts than what would ordinarily be in a movie.

Continue reading "Sable - Final Video Proposal" »

Sable - Project 2 Final

The Professional - Remake

Continue reading "Sable - Project 2 Final" »

Michael Sable - Project 2 Proposal

Project 2 - Remake

For my project, I would like to do a scene from the movie The Professional. The particular scene I would like to is most of the following, excluding several small parts (such as the explosion at the end or possibly the quick cut of the little girl):

My friend Jessica and I watched this movie together not too long ago, and this is the scene she cried at. I asked her later what about this scene got her teary-eyed, to which she replied “he almost made it home; he was literally walking out the door to a new life and he got shot.? This scene depicts the protagonist, Leon, walking away from the destruction of his home towards a public street and being subsequently shot from behind. Mathilda, who over the course of the story became similar to Leon’s daughter, runs down the street to Tony’s to wait for Leon to return (though unbeknownst to her, he will never come back). The scene ends with Leon killing himself and the antagonist Stansfield in a final act of retribution for Mathilda.

In my personal opinion, the climax of this scene is the shot of Leon’s first-person perspective. He is shown looking at the “light at the end of the tunnel? when a white light floods the foreground. The light is meant to reflect the muzzle flash from the gun Stansfield fires at him from behind. After the white light and a muted noise (gunfire), Leon hits the ground slowly while piano plays softly in the background. I plan to capture this particular moment by using the camera “over-the-shoulder? and adding in the light swell and sound effects in post.

As for the rest of the video, I will most likely play either the part of Stansfield or Leon and have a friend play the part of whatever I don’t. I would like to do this instead of playing both parts myself since there are shots where they are both seen together. I think it will alleviate any character confusion, and also help make the shooting a little less stressful. Besides Stansfield and Leon, I may also add in the quick cut to Mathilda running down the street, which would involve a 3rd actor.

As far as technique goes, I’m not yet sure where to shoot; this is something I’ll have to scout for in the next couple days. The actors will be appropriately dressed (black jumpsuit with mask and the other wearing a suit) and will have the couple props that are presented in the scene (pop cans painted black to look like grenades, toy gun, grenade pin, fake blood). The sound effects and speech will both be added in post (I’ve learned that speech usually turns out better if its overdubbed later using decent microphones).

Continue reading "Michael Sable - Project 2 Proposal" »

Project 1: Final Draft

The 5 Stages of Grief

Continue reading "Project 1: Final Draft" »

Michael Sable: Project 1 Proposal

“Five Stages: The Kübler-Ross model"

Plot: A girl finds her boyfriend cheating on her and the relationship ends. She goes through the five stages of grief defined in the Kübler-Ross model (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance). She gets revenge on her ex-boyfriend after completing the five stages.

************************************************************************
Introduction "5 Stages: The Kübler-Ross model"

Include opening credits, title slides.

Scene 1 – The Situation

The story begins with protagonist "Elise" as she kisses her boyfriend "Dave" goodbye and promises to see him later for their date (they say goodbye in front of Dave’s house). Elise goes home to bake a cake for the dinner date that she’s preparing. As she starts baking, she realizes she has no eggs. She drives to Dave's house to borrow a few, and after knocking with no reply enters his house. Unable to find Dave, she walks upstairs into his room and finds him cheating with another woman. He says their relationship is through and she leaves crying.

Scene 2 – The Five Stages

The story now follows Elise over the course of a day as she deals with the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Scene 3 – The Solution

After carrying on in her day with great difficulty and finally reaching the acceptance stage, Elise runs into her now-ex-boyfriend and his “new girlfriend? in some chance passing. After a small amount of dialogue, Elise and her boyfriend square off in a “Mortal Kombat? variety fight scene with Elise the victor.

***********************************************************************

How I Intend to Film:

I will be using live actors and a crappy Nikon digital camera to create stop-motion via photography. The majority of the stills will be captured indoors in one of two houses (Elise’s and Dan’s). I’m thinking that the movie will probably run on average 10 frames per second with some exceptions. The story will follow the main character Elise for most of the time with a couple scenes involving Dan, Dan’s “mistress?, and a couple of Elise’s friends. Depending on how well it works, I may decide use a sepia tone for the movie to replicate the “classic film? feel. The sound will consist of overdubbing, including the aforementioned sound bytes from Mortal Kombat as well as homemade sound effects and an ambient soundtrack (if having background music is acceptable, that is).

The Tricks:

One of the first time-based tricks that I plan to use is a “Hulk? scene. During the anger stage, the main character will be changed frame by frame to look like the Hulk. This includes several simple things like slowly tear/tattering the arms on the shirt and maybe some slow-enveloping green face paint? Trick #2 will be altering the frame rate at the end of the movie to emulate the motion of the video game as well as a change in costumes between frames. Trick #3 will utilize quick changes in frame rate appropriate for sound effects. For example, when Elise knocks on the door, a close-up of her hand will alternate between two frames: one of her fist hitting the door and one of it retracting (the “door hitting? frame would last about a half second and be synced to the door-knocking sound.