Kiki Smith Extra Credit- Brett Westgor

Kiki Smith is one of the weirdest artists I've ever heard of. Even during her interviews, there is an ambient type of music that plays in the background. Kiki Smith grew up in New Jersey but was born in Nuremberg, Germany in 1954. Her father was an American sculptor named Tony Smith. When she was a young child, she helped her father make cardboard models for his artwork. Now to this day, Kiki Smith creates many different sculptors, drawings and prints. What I really like about her artistic view is that she creates stories in her artwork. What grabs my attention about these creations is not only the story behind the work but the way it is told inside out. She likes to tell stories involving death, organs, cellular forms and the human nervous system. She has done work about dead animals like crows, as well as her own dead cat. I find this hard to swallow because the subject of death can be very depressing and to create a piece of art that involves a death in your life (ex: her dead cat), I feel that it would be too much negativity from the past to hold on to. Yet, she does not always involve her personal life with her art work. Kiki Smith has received many awards and medals for her work including the Skowhegan Medal for Sculpture in 2000. The amount of work put into her projects is huge and she seems to be one of the best (yet strangest) artists I've ever heard of. I would love to see her artwork in the future. To this day, Kiki Smith lives and works in New York city.

Do-Ho Suh extra credit- Brett Westgor

Do-Ho Suh’s work caught my eye within seconds of watching him. Without knowing anything about him or his projects, I was already sucked in. He was born in 1962. He grew up in Seoul, Korea and went to school at Seoul National University. He earned his BFA and MFA in oriental painting at SNU and later moved to the United States where he continues to study at Yale University. Do-Ho Suh is known for sculptures and installations that challenge conservative concept of scale and site-specificity. One of the things I like about Do-Ho Suh's work is that it creates awareness to the ways viewers engage and occupy public space. Personal space is a pretty big subject that I feel isn’t often talked about. He has always been interested in space and I think the idea that he becomes so specific with that is more interesting for the viewer. Many artists use “space? in a majority of their work but Do-Ho Suh is very different. His perception of personal space has also changed over the years as he continues to follow his obsessive interest. Many people have different lengths of personal space and I think Do-Ho Suh’s ability to challenge that is astonishing.

Another thing I find interesting about Do-Ho Suh is that his pieces are not exactly what you would imagine them to be unless you honestly saw them. The subject of personal space is specific yet broad in many ways. His point of view on personal space does not force him to create these projects that are all over crowed in every way. Some of his projects need time to absorb before they are more clearly understood. I do like the finished designs of almost all the work I’ve seen from Do-Ho Suh. One thing I find difficult to except is that his pieces are all very closely related. Yet, they are still complex enough to the point where you need to take one thing in at a time. The pieces have different meanings in my point of view and it’s harder for me to understand what the artist is trying to show or explain. I feel if I had enough time to see one of his projects up close, I may better understand what he has created. Do-Ho suh has had projects all over the world and his sculptures continually question the identity of the human in today’s global society.

Visiting Artist Response-Brett Westgor

The person I wrote my artist response on was Gabriel Orozco. He likes to deal with the logic of an object and how it works. I like how Gabriel thinks about his projects and art pieces. I feel I understand him more then most artists because I have a connection with a more logical point of view along with my creations in art as well. I feel art can become more twisted within a logical aspect and have a sort of stronger psychological connection that is almost subconscious.

Normally, Gabriel doesn’t do public work. The project I really liked of his was his “Mobile Matrix.? This project is a type of sculpture in a public library that he considered to be a major project. A library in Mexico City asked him to create something inside when the library was finished being built. He replied by saying he would create something after he had had some time to think about some ideas. So when the library was finished being built, he was ready with a few ideas.

One of his ideas was to have this skeleton of a whale in the center of the building. He explained it as “a floating whale in the center of the book shelves.? I love the idea of this because the library is all about using your imagination and creating something huge within your mind. I feel the whale acts as something that can be created with a little imagination within the human mind. Many stories and mythologies also have a whale and it can be related to many different books in general.

From different centers of the skeleton, he drew circles. He started drawing from the joints within the whale and grew out as the circles crossed one another. The circles touched in many different surprising ways and created this giant ring that was seen throughout the entire whale itself. He had to take the bones apart and color the lines in with graphite. He later connected the pieces to re-create this completely different, yet logical, style of art. I felt he was easy to understand immediately. His work and presentation can be read quickly and I feel he can spread his message and understandings. I feel some artists have to many directions in which you can read their art. If the artist is looking for only one direction then they don’t always get the reaction they are looking for. With an artist like Gabriel Orozco, the message is clear and the ideas are still brilliant. He is an inspiring artist and hopefully ill catch his next major project.

Brett Westgor Project 3

Media Mill Video

Continue reading "Brett Westgor Project 3" »

Brett Westgor: Project 3 Proposal

For my third project, I am going to film a friend pretending to have a normal day. I'm going to film her getting up from bed in the morning, eating breakfast, and doing what she considers a "normal" during the week. The title of the film will most likely be "A day in the life of Mandy." I want to create a form of dry humor as she goes about her awkward day. I'm going to have her talk to the camera and explain herself as she moves forward in the day. Ill give her a fake job and have her interact with random people. I haven't yet written out the whole sketch but I don't want to give the story away too much as it is. I will be filming for an entire day next week and should have the footage shot by the 19th of November. I had a problem with with lighting in my last video and I'm hoping to get that resolved for this film. I'm excited for how this video is going to turn out and ill try to remember to add on to this proposal as I continue to create the video.

Brett Westgor Project 2

Media Mill Video

Continue reading "Brett Westgor Project 2" »

Brett Westgor Project 1

Media Mill Video

Continue reading "Brett Westgor Project 1" »

Brett Westgor: project 1 proposal

My stop-motion animation is focused on a short story involving a lazy penguin. The movie starts out with the lazy penguin asleep on the ice. As the sun in the background rises, the ice begins to melt. The ice then cracks off and the penguin is left floating away on an iceberg. When the penguin wakes up, he realizes that he is lost out at sea and can’t get back home. He picks his hat off the ground near where he fell asleep.
As he is about to put the hat on over his head, a bottle falls out and knocks him on his head. The penguin becomes confused and looks into the hat. He then begins to pull random objects out of the hat. As he pulls all of these random things out, he can feel he’s getting deeper and deeper into the hat. Soon the hat becomes empty and he decides to crawl into the hat himself. He begins to crawl into the darkness of his hat.
After a short period of time, he sees an opening of light. When he finally gets out into the light, he realizes that he is inside a large killer whale. He quickly notices that he somehow has his hat on his head and pulls out a large stick. He uses the stick to pry open the whale’s mouth and jumps out of the water. He lands on a chunk of ice and soon finds out that he is back on the same iceberg in the middle of the sea.
One of the two main tricks in the story is how he begins to pull stuff out from his hat. The other main trick is how he crawls into his hat and ends up inside a killer whale. I believe the best way to create this story is by drawing pictures. If I set up a tripod, I can put a camera up and take still pictures from that. The background does not change often enough to where I should need to make multiple sheets. I feel using a large sheet that I draw and erase on will work best for my project. I like drawing random cartoons and I think this will be a great way for me to bring some of my cartoons to life. I have no yet decided if I should work with sound effects, music or both. I think after I’ve had some time to dig into the project, many ideas for sound will be running through my head.