Dane Thomforde Extra Credit: Potter

Download file

Dane Thomforde Extra Credit: Roberts

Download file

Dane Thomforde Extra Credit: Nelson

Download file

Dane Thomforde - Project 3

Media Mill Video

dane - project 3 proposal

For my third project I want to explore the relationship between typography and our environment. The video will consist of the construction, placement and documentation of large, self made typographical elements in our everyday environment.

The typographical elements will be made out of reinforced cardboard created by myself and hopefully arranged with the help of several friends. Im trying to explore the relationship between different types of signage and their impact on the receiver, and even the message itself. The message will be documented from different angles and different times of the day. The message, or possibly several will be taken from writings that I have come across and deem usable. these could vary from humorous, personal, or environmental maxims that are relevant.

As far as a timeline goes, I should have all my rough material on Dec. 1st, this is a fairly rough estimate, but weather permitting this a feasible deadline.

Dane-Project2

Media Mill Video

Dane Thomforde - Project 1

Media Mill Video

Dane: Project 1 Proposal

Project 1: Dane Thomforde

Proposal

My stop motion animation project will be executed through the use of a dry erase board and dry erase markers. The story revolves around a character, who isn’t really anyone in particular, going through his daily routine. What makes this interesting though, is that the animator helps this character through his daily routine by altering the world around him. This could be thought of as what I would sometimes like life to be like, being maleable and bending completely to my will. By creating situations that seem to be normal drawn images, then changing them through the use of an actual hand forcing these drawn lines around this gives a different feeling to animation that I have not seen much before, and want to try.
Creating this strange feeling is going to be an interesting experiment, I have not tried anything like this before, but hopefully I will be able to find resources which will help me translate these ideas into actual footage. The tricks I plan on using could be described in this manner, for example, if the character is walking down the street and it begins to rain, the animator could make an appearance, just his hands, and move the clouds to stop the rain. This works by making a line and putting my hand on top of it or near it, creating the illusion of actually moving the line with my hands.
The plot revolves around a singular character, and his actions and routine on one specific day. He gets up, goes to work, goes out with friends, and goes back to bed. I want it to appear as a normal routine, but it will not look normal at all, I want it to look supernatural. Technically, all the drawing will be done with a dry erase marker, and there will be no props except my hands which will make appearances at various points. One technical aspect that I will be paying great attention to will be the lighting. I do not want to see light reflecting off the board, I want it to appear as though there isn’t even a board, just lines in space. I have encountered some great examples of the kind of work I will be creating, and along with this post I will attach some links.