Jonathon Robbins Artist Response/Pierre Huyghe

Recently I decided to choose Pierre Huyghe for my artist reflection and had an interesting time looking over his work. The majority of the pieces I saw from him were either instillation pieces or computer animation/setups. Over viewing his work, I noticed a strong connection with technology and possibly a reflection of what modernity means.

Some of the exhibits I looked at were slightly more confusing than a simply reflection on technology. For instance, "Celebration Park", a piece exhibited at both Paris and Tate Museum contained a large number of neon signs with different phrases on them. The use of neon signs might say something about technology in the world, but I found the saying often used to be cryptic and confusing. Many focused on the idea of not owning or being something, such as "I do not own the death star" or "I do not own modern times". With further thought I can't understand his true meanings behind the exhibit, and suspect it says something about individuality, society, and perhaps our population. It's super ambiguous and hard to decipher.

A simpler piece to understand was his exhibit titled "This is not a time for dreaming". This piece contained various puppets which had strings attached to them, even a Darth Vader puppet. I'm sure by this point Star Wars is simply something that influenced his childhood. As for the puppets the narrative is easy to get as, for a puppet is usually connected to manipulation and control. The puppets were also controlled by larger puppets which might say something of a hierarchal system. This piece had an interesting narrative and well crafted aesthetics.

It was interesting to take a look at his work and perhaps I'll see more of him in the future.

-Jonathon

umm... I turned this in by 3:30 pm, but it says something like 9pm.

Jonathon Robbins Project Three

Project Three Proposal/Reflection

For my final project I went through a few ideas before I chose my subject matter: clearing your mind. Grappling with the concept, I came up with the idea to illustrated this feeling by lighting stuff on fire, a very effective way to clear something if you ask me. With that concept in mind, I elaborated on it by decided to use some of my old journals as the tinder needed. With the proper medium, I figured it would be easier to understand that the piece was connected to the thoughts of the mind compared to just ignited papers.

The process was actually a bit more dangerous than I had anticipated, I'll describe it from the beginning. With the paper's chosen from my old journals, I need to tape then to a back board in order to hold them in place while I started them on fire. With that set up and my back board ready, I then duck taped it to my bathroom wall. I laid down a wet towel for the ashed to fall on and opened a window for the smoke and such.

When I final began the process the camera was set up to simple watch in one position, and I began to light the paper on fire. Starting out slow, I light a few pieces and then tried to blow them out as fast as I could. As things went on I ran into something I didn't anticipated as the entire room was filled with smoke, not clearing as fast as I thought it would. The only problem with that is that I was taking giant breaths of air trying to put out the fires I had started and began to get a little lightheaded.

In the end things worked out and nothing started on fire, even though my bathroom was now a despicable mess.

In the editing process I wanted to attempt to illustrated the state of mind more than the physical properties going on in the movie. I used music and sound effects, with some blurring effects, to accomplish this. Looking back I wish I would have had my music track fade out until the entire end, a large symbolic meaning of clearing your mind.

Overall, this was my favorite project, and enjoyed the process.

Wishing all a happy conclusion to this semester,

Jonathon

Jonathon Robbins Project Three

Media Mill Video

Jonathon Robbins Project 2

My initial concept for my second project involved some half lampoons / rehashes of classic movies that were sad. The three movies that I changed were Old Man and the Sea, Unbreakable, and Edward Scissorshands. I planned on tying these scenes together by placing them in the setting of a public TV station, aka my garage.

The scenes where to be acted out by me in all of the roles, and I planed on writing my own dialog with some ab libbing. The first scene, Old Man and the Sea, involved a young boy asking the old man from the novel to go fishing. Sadly the old man has become depressing and rather unfriendly, a tearful twist on the original.

The second scene of Unbreakable, with Bruce Willis, serves as a ridiculous middle ground for the three scenes. Using quoted Hamlet and a lamenting character.

After those scenes the film is finished with a recreated scene from Edward Scissorshands, during a discussion between a fan and his hedges. The fan warns Edward to not over work his piece, but Edward does not listen and the hedge, which they are discussing, is cut beyond repair. This storyline is meant to serve as a shot at my last piece which lost some emotion after I feel I overworked it, and is meant to also draw contrast between overworking a piece when this piece obviously wasn't.

Jonathon Robbins Project 1

Media Mill Video

Jonathon Robbins Project 1

Media Mill Video

Jonathon: project 1 proposal

I'm feeling pretty casual this morning, so here's to wishing whoever reads this a good day. It is a blog after all.

Over the last few days I've been gathering a handful of ideas, and have came close to what I'll probably use for my project. I have a solid establishing and finishing scene, but the middle plot needs some work. Here are my ideas:

When I was thinking of stop motion movies in general, I couldn't help but feel that the claymation concept is either horribly dated, or if it is used, needs to be lampooned. So, with that idea in mind, I wanted to establish my movie with an intro shot of a small clay figure walking down a sidewalk alongside some backdrop, most likely a house. After a few seconds the scene will shift to a man at his desk.

The second sequence will involve a story about a man's journal, and how it has aided to assist the man through the trials of life. The only reason I have apprehensions about this concept is that it is inherently more somber, or at least serious, compared to my intro shot. I haven't worked out the transition yet.

The story will involve a basic guideline of establishing nuisances in photo, then showing a man in angst consulting his journal. As the timeline progresses, each time the man consults his journal there will be another person standing by him attempting to aid him. Eventually the room will be full of people, words, and ideas, that will ease his weariness. As the shot comes to a close the man will get up, noticeably happier, and turn of the light. As it fades to black, the shot will switch to the clay man on the street.

Now in the outside scene, the clay man will continue to walk down the street for a few seconds before the shot pans out. The shot that contained the clay man will, now that it's in a wider angle, reveal a door along side the house to the left. The man from the journal plot will step outside, still in stop go animation. The shots will then speed up until the film switches to 24 fps right before the man steps on the clay figure. In a live action shot, the man will then look down scrape or brush of the clay (brown with red innards) and continue walking down the sidewalk. Cue credits.

For the fabrication of these ideas, I intend to use Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and maybe Adobe Flash. If time permits I will also probably include a music score, either from GarageBand or from pieces of non copyrighted classical music.