Critique #4 Final Project

Out of all the projects that I have done in this class; I feel that this one was the most successful in presentation and in concept. Although I should have moved Alan’s stuff out of the way in the installation room, I’m still glad that I presented in that room because that space is a little more professional looking than a normal critique room. I don’t think that by having the curtains blocking people in ruined the presentation, it just interrupted the flow of people moving from one side of the screen to the other. I would like to think that the concept of my project was more important than how I used the space. I’m glad that I got the amount of feedback that I did about how I could use the space in different ways because I have never used an installation room to present anything before. Hopefully someday I’ll be able to use the installation room again because I like how the audience is allowed to be interactive and move around the piece to view different perspectives.
I felt that I was successful with the final project in terms of the product itself and the concept. My original idea was similar to what I finally ended up doing, and I’m glad that I was able to develop my ideas by viewing the work of the artist who incorporated emotion into his work as well as themes of time, and pre-conceived expectations. I liked how the viewers of his work experienced emotional agitation/excitement, which is what I was aiming for in my project by using a hand gently touching a female’s body. I hope that I was as successful in this as I hoped because I was desensitized by the visuals after watching and editing it so much in final cut. I also hope that I got my point across with the music that I chose. To me, each piece sounded radically different from one another, was clear in the stereotypes, and put each piece into the right context that I was aiming for. Apparently some people couldn’t differentiate between the pieces of music, which sucks for them!

Critique #4 Final Project

Project 4

Download file

Repost: Artist response: Lowrey Sims

Continue reading "Repost: Artist response: Lowrey Sims" »

King Kong

Download file

Continue reading "King Kong" »

Manu's Final Project

Continue reading "Manu's Final Project" »

Revision of Perfect World Video

This is a fix up and improved version of my project three video on what my perfect world consists of. From the moment I confirmed my idea for this project I had my final plan in my head. The difficulty was figuring out how to get the idea out of my head and into an actual production. At the due date for Project three I had a video completed but it wasn't up to it's full potential and wasn't completed how I ideally had wanted it to be completed. The critiques I received on it precisely supported my thinking: the video has good intentions and is going in the right direction but it needs to be finished up with what I had planned on doing all along. My struggle was working with Final Cut in general and learning how to do what I wanted to do. It seemed like a simple idea: split the screen in half, then thirds and possibly fourths to display the world of many Jennas being everywhere at one time. The screen splitting action was not that simple. BUT, in my extra time and effort I have managed to learn how to split the screen and have my video do what I wanted to do. As an outsider I would think my video is just average but personally knowing how much time and hard work I went through to get it to look the way it does makes me appreciate the video more. I am happy with finally completing this video to be the idea that originally was just a thought in my head.

Continue reading "Revision of Perfect World Video" »

Visting Artist Response:

Artist Review

Continue reading "Visting Artist Response:" »

Repost of Visiting Artist Response:

Repost of Visiting Artist Response:

Continue reading "Repost of Visiting Artist Response:" »

Who is a citizen?

Instead of attending a visiting artist's presentation, I went to the Weisman Art Museum to look at the featured exhibit. This month the theme of the exhibit was "Who is a citizen? What is citizenship?"
This exhibit explores themes about the individual and civic life in thirty paintings, photographs, and prints drawn from the Weisan's permanent collection. Ranging from Lewis Hine's 1905 photographic portraits of immigrants at Ellis Island to Twin Cities photographer Joseph Allan's contemporary portraits of American Indians, these pieces open up ideas about who belongs to a nation or community. Also, they reflect a citizen's rights and how they can exercise them.
There are three respective sections in the exhibit:
Who is a citizen?
-Presents work that questions the exclusion or asserts the inclusion of those who have been overlooked.
Civic life in the city
-Artists show how people share public space, making them members of a community, regardless of legal status of citizenship.
The artist as a citizen
-Where artists are advocates for their own rights and they speak out on social/political issues.

Artists have been engaged in depicting citizens since the days of ancient Greece, when the concept of a citizen as a member of society with rights of self-governance first developed. These concepts of citizenship have changed over time, differing with location.

Examples of artists and their pieces displayed:
-Lewis Hines (1847-1940) uses gelatin silver prints in 'Italian Family Looking For Lost Luggage,' showing Italian immigrants with distraught looks on their faces as they are on a pier surrounded by many bags.
Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com
-Joseph Allan (born in 1964) uses color type-C photographic print in 'Phillip Chaltas (Rosebud Lakota/Navajo),' showing a young man sitting on his workbench at Jiffy Lube, looking upset.

-Robert Gwathmey (1903-1988) uses oil on canvas in 'Nobody Around Here Calls Me A Citizen,' showing a dejected African-American man with a symbolic number 2 next to him, connoting the inequality of segregation and the impact of racism in liming civil rights and rights of citizenship.

Lowrey Sims

I found Lowrey Sims' talk to be a very engaging discussion with some excellent points regarding museum art, environmental art and functional art. My favorite part of her talk was her discussion of some of the environmentally functional pieces. Traditionally, I am used to seeing art made solely for a viewer's senses. Many of the pieces Sims showed at the beginning beared the same aesthetic elements but had environmental impacts. The first things I recall are the gardens and ark layouts she showed. I find this departure from traditonal art to be very thought invoking, especially when displayed by an art curator such as Sims. I was also drawn to the series of Native American works that she showed. They depicted Native American towns with cultural images covered in gas masks and mutations. These works were extraordinarily eerie and depicted some of the images I would have had in nightmares if nuclear weapons had been tested near my hometown. I feel her discussion about environmentally fucntional versus traditonal museum art was spot on. Creating a piece with functionality adds another aspect to the work to be admired and questioned.

Project 3 Re-edit

Download file

In this new version, I have added sound effects, a song clip ('It's Getting Better' by The Beatles), and a drum-roll soundtrack that I produced using Garageband. I thought that the drum-roll seemed fitting seeing as how alot of the imagery of the clip showed slaying using guns/militar-type violence. Also, I added simple sound-effects such as footsteps, crackling flames, and straining voices. I wanted the audience to feel a bit more involved with the video so now they can experience both a graphic scene, while listening to its audio counterpart. Also, I sped up some of the scenes in order to give the clip a more flowing rhythm.

Creation

For project four I wanted to continue on my use of a biblical themes like the one from project three about the Garden of Eden. I always enjoy reading articles on several interpretations of the creation that part from the traditional view. For instance some Christians believe that God created continents in there current place but the bible says that the land formed in one area. Besides showing a different view of creation I also tried to solve certain problems that certain people in the science community point out in creation such as the starlight problem. I am not sure if I conveyed theses answers clearly to the audience but I believe the animations were presented well. The main reason why I made this piece was because I was a very tired of the media being biased towards creationism, and being more favorable towards evolution and I just wanted to share that there are scientific principles in creationism. Towards the end of my animation I used a video provided by NASA which shows the solar system I just wished I could have managed my time better to make one of my own. Another thing I wanted to include in my animation was humor perhaps in my videos of animals section.

Download Creation

Laura's Final Project: Reversed Roles

Download file

Continue reading "Laura's Final Project: Reversed Roles" »

Check out the NEWS!

https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/download.php?file=6896.mov