Project 1 feedback

The feedback I received from the class made me realize that I was missing a big part of my dorm studio project; the human interaction. I spent so much time on the music that I left out the crude elements such as talking/laughing over the recording. I should have had my neighbors in the room to give listeners a true feeling of that primary audience. Overall though, I thought my project was successful.

Project 1 Reflection

If I could change anything about Project 1, I would change the location of my piece. The area that I focused on made it very difficult to capture good sound. All of the buses and the overall noise level of the street made thing much more difficult then they should have been. It was next to impossible to focus on the sound I wanted to and filter out the other noises.

Thoughts on Project 1

After hearing all the projects including my own, I thought a lot of issues came to the surface regarding the difficulties and finer points of digital audio. There were many troubles that a lot of us were faced with or introduced to. However, this does not cast the project as a whole in a negative light. It just underlines the importance of experimenting and working through the transation of an idea into an audio form... although there were also some issues that fell outside of that realm such as difficulty with equipment rental and ambiguity of presentation specifics. BUT, all in all, I enjoyed hearing all the other pieces and felt as if my work was a success as well. Onward to video....

Reflecting On My Project Critique

Upon listening to it again (after the other countless times while working on it), I'm very pleased with the way my sound project turned out. I had the ideas in my mind of how I wanted it to sound, and for the most part, they are pretty similar. Given what I had to work with, the time constraint for the actual recording, and the pretty limited amount of sound editing that I have, I am pretty pleased with the overall result.

One of my main focal points was to get across this feeling of movement. I was pleased to hear that others felt this way while listening to it, and actually feeling a sense of moving around the club, going near speakers, entering bathrooms, etc.

Another thing that I thought was interesting was the interpretation that most people took of it. I had the idea that most people would see the bathroom segment as a sort of escape from the noisy club, or something like that. But, I'm glad that others found humor in the simplicity of what was going on.

If I had to do this project again, I don't know how much of it I would change. I don't know how it would impact it, but after hearing what other people thought about it, I was thinking what the effect of adding some spoken words over some of the noise would have. This would give it some more context, probably (hopefully?) give it some more humor, and provide a new look on the sounds around. But, it is what it is, I guess...

Critiquing my sound project:

Continue reading "Critiquing my sound project:" »

The Journey

My sound project is about my daily journey from my house to school. I take the city bus and light rail through downtown. I'm fine with the quality of sound of the vehicles but the wind seems to be very distracting and does overpower some of the sounds.

The Journey mp3

Critiquing my Sound Project

Our first project in this class had to do with creating a sound primer. This was my first time doing anything with recording and editing audio files. I ended up doing a piece on sounds found in a dorm room. Based on the constructive feedback I received in class, I felt overall I had done well being my first time. However, me being the tough critic I am, I felt there were some changes I would have made if I were to do the project again.

First, I would have listened to the audio file on the speakers that were to be used for presentation. I wasn’t able to test out the speakers we used during critique so the sounds I expected everyone to here were not demonstrated during the presentation. I wanted certain sounds to be heard over others, and had anticipated using surround sound. So, certain sounds were set up for that.

Also, another change I would have made was I would have extended the time on my file. The sound moved too quickly for the narrative I was trying to create. The build up of sound was evident, however, in my opinion it happened to quickly. It didn’t allow enough time for the listener to distinguish what was happening. For instance in the beginning of the piece there wasn’t enough time for the listener to know that the person had come into the room and settled down. I also could have used different sounds to let the listener know that there was two people in the room right away. If I did not explain the situation of the story to the listeners ahead of time, it may have been confusing as to how many people were in the room. As I explained in critique though, I didn’t know there was going to be two people until later into my project, so my focus changed. I should have worked the project more to fit my new idea.

Overall, I would have spent a little more time?proof reading it.? I should have listened to it and given it more time to sit. If I would have done that, maybe I would have noticed all of the changes I wanted to make to it earlier.

everything will build

Download file

Continue reading "everything will build" »

Ferguson Hall audio experience

Download file

Continue reading "Ferguson Hall audio experience" »

Sleepscape

This peice is an adventure in insomnia. In my profession, early wake ups are a continuing struggle. For night people, like me, this experience can be stressful and confusing at the same time. My peice attempts to emullate the struggle between distraction and peace of mind leading to a full state of relaxation. It deomstrates the conflict of daily sound, erroneous thought, and mental stress has with the mind's ability to shut down. The audio explores the connection between the physical and psychic space present in a struggle to fall alseep.

Download file

Continue reading "Sleepscape" »

Adventure through my room..

Download file

Sounds of what happens when I'm cleaning my room.

Continue reading "Adventure through my room.." »

Nicollet Mall Audio Project

Download file

This work is a collection of sounds from Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis during a Thursday Farmers market.,

Crash Course Instrumental

Download file

Continue reading "Crash Course Instrumental" »

Pub Sounds

Download file

Continue reading "Pub Sounds" »

The Experience of a Dance Studio

Download file

Continue reading "The Experience of a Dance Studio" »

Dorm Sounds

Download file

Continue reading "Dorm Sounds" »

Daily Life

Download file

Continue reading "Daily Life" »

Sweet Dreams

Download file

Continue reading "Sweet Dreams" »

Journey Through the Club

Download file

Continue reading "Journey Through the Club" »

Homeaudio

Download file

Continue reading "Homeaudio" »

Program Sounds

Download file

Continue reading "Program Sounds" »

Back In Time

Download file

Continue reading "Back In Time" »

Project #1 Audacity: Dinner

Download file

Continue reading "Project #1 Audacity: Dinner" »

Dorm Room Studio

Download file

Continue reading "Dorm Room Studio" »

Buttery Goodness

Download file

Continue reading "Buttery Goodness" »

Assignment I :: a sound primer

Continue reading "Assignment I :: a sound primer" »