Repost: Artist response: Lowrey Sims

Continue reading "Repost: Artist response: Lowrey Sims" »

Repost of Visiting Artist Response:

Repost of Visiting Artist Response:

Continue reading "Repost of Visiting Artist Response:" »

Who is a citizen?

Instead of attending a visiting artist's presentation, I went to the Weisman Art Museum to look at the featured exhibit. This month the theme of the exhibit was "Who is a citizen? What is citizenship?"
This exhibit explores themes about the individual and civic life in thirty paintings, photographs, and prints drawn from the Weisan's permanent collection. Ranging from Lewis Hine's 1905 photographic portraits of immigrants at Ellis Island to Twin Cities photographer Joseph Allan's contemporary portraits of American Indians, these pieces open up ideas about who belongs to a nation or community. Also, they reflect a citizen's rights and how they can exercise them.
There are three respective sections in the exhibit:
Who is a citizen?
-Presents work that questions the exclusion or asserts the inclusion of those who have been overlooked.
Civic life in the city
-Artists show how people share public space, making them members of a community, regardless of legal status of citizenship.
The artist as a citizen
-Where artists are advocates for their own rights and they speak out on social/political issues.

Artists have been engaged in depicting citizens since the days of ancient Greece, when the concept of a citizen as a member of society with rights of self-governance first developed. These concepts of citizenship have changed over time, differing with location.

Examples of artists and their pieces displayed:
-Lewis Hines (1847-1940) uses gelatin silver prints in 'Italian Family Looking For Lost Luggage,' showing Italian immigrants with distraught looks on their faces as they are on a pier surrounded by many bags.
Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com
-Joseph Allan (born in 1964) uses color type-C photographic print in 'Phillip Chaltas (Rosebud Lakota/Navajo),' showing a young man sitting on his workbench at Jiffy Lube, looking upset.

-Robert Gwathmey (1903-1988) uses oil on canvas in 'Nobody Around Here Calls Me A Citizen,' showing a dejected African-American man with a symbolic number 2 next to him, connoting the inequality of segregation and the impact of racism in liming civil rights and rights of citizenship.

Lowrey Sims

I found Lowrey Sims' talk to be a very engaging discussion with some excellent points regarding museum art, environmental art and functional art. My favorite part of her talk was her discussion of some of the environmentally functional pieces. Traditionally, I am used to seeing art made solely for a viewer's senses. Many of the pieces Sims showed at the beginning beared the same aesthetic elements but had environmental impacts. The first things I recall are the gardens and ark layouts she showed. I find this departure from traditonal art to be very thought invoking, especially when displayed by an art curator such as Sims. I was also drawn to the series of Native American works that she showed. They depicted Native American towns with cultural images covered in gas masks and mutations. These works were extraordinarily eerie and depicted some of the images I would have had in nightmares if nuclear weapons had been tested near my hometown. I feel her discussion about environmentally fucntional versus traditonal museum art was spot on. Creating a piece with functionality adds another aspect to the work to be admired and questioned.

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden

Continue reading "Minneapolis Sculpture Garden" »

Lowrey Sims Artist Response

Continue reading "Lowrey Sims Artist Response" »

Lowrey Sims Artist Response

Lowrey Sims Artist Response

Visiting Artist Response: Lowrey Sims

Continue reading "Visiting Artist Response: Lowrey Sims" »

Reposting of Lisa Lapinski

At the beginning of the semester when I was planning which visiting artists to attend I selected Lisa Lapinski because I was intrigued by the referenced quote from an art critic that described Lisa as "providing new thought about what a sculpture might be." I enjoy attending visiting artist presentations because I like hearing precisely what the artist has to say about their work: what inspired them, the process in developing each piece and the message they were attempting to convey. Viewers, such as myself, will always draw up their own inferences so it is interesting to see how that compares with what the artist was meaning. Sculpture is a medium of art I typically enjoy viewing because of how many different types of materials can be used and incorporated into a single piece. I was looking forward to see what Lisa’s “new thought? of sculpture work was like.
My anticipation quickly died upon arrival. Lisa is definitely more of an artist than a public speaker. The presentation was simply her clicking through her work and monotonously stating the title and where it was presented or what show it was a part of. For most of her pieces I wasn’t immediately turned on or drawn into the art so not having any further explanation or background about the piece didn’t bother me as much. On the other hand, if Lisa would have taken time to talk about some of her works I may have changed my outlook on it. The one portion of her presentation that did provide more insight to her views and personality was when she read an email of hers addressed to an art critic. She initially wrote to this art critique in response to the critic’s comments on a piece of art. What makes this more interesting is that the critic wasn’t even talking about her work but the work of a friend. This could lead me to conclude that Lisa has strong opinions and ideas and really stands behind her beliefs.
There was one thing I got out of coming to the presentation (besides a caramel brownie) and that was a viewing of what an individual artist’s show may look like. Being fairly new to exploring art I have never been to a single artist’s show. I have had my share of art museums but seeing images from a few of Lisa’s main shows made me more aware of what the set up may look like. I liked how the art work was arranged around the room but again, would have appreciated more discussion about why the pieces were designed the way they were and if the placement in the room meant anything.

Visiting Artist: Lisa Lipinski

I'm not sure what happened to this entry the first time I posted it, but for your reading pleasure, here it is again:

Lisa Lipinski confused the hell out of me. I'm not sure if it was because I was low on sleep or if that was her style, but I could not follow her talk. it seemed like she was just rambling about topics at some points and I really had difficulty finding continuity in her discussion. I found this ironic (and perhaps it was intentional) that her talk was unstructured since her primary art format is sculpture.

Speaking style aside, I found a similar trend in Lipinski's work. In her sculptures, it was clear that there were continuing themes (history, politics, religions) but I was unable to find the meaning in the mass of her work. She addressed this topic in her discussion, stating that her work didn't always need to have meaning and it can be created just to exist. This frustrated me because she used some definite symbols that I wanted to hear explanations for.

After a while of trying to get over my frustrations with Lipinski's discussion and work, I decided that she had some good points. Art doesn't always have to say something, it can exist just to be seen, heard or felt. Leaving meanings unattached allows an interpreter to to see it for what it is, create your own meaning, or just observe.

Lisa Lipinski

Lisa Lapinski has very interesting works of art and it was also interesting to know what inspired her. Most of her work comes from the inspiration of other Artists like Gustave Miklos, whose sculpture of a bird was bought by Lisa for use in one of her works. One type of medium that Lisa seems to use frequently is paper. Such works like Clown typeface, and Rainbow (untitled) use a lot of paper. The Rainbow series seems more planned out because Lisa admits using paper but it doesn’t look like she does; the mosques and bird houses. Clown type face is basically several pieces of paper on the floor, with a box at the corner of the room, all white, except the room. There are some drawings at the back of this box which is wired to me (why is it in the back?), a practice which she continues in other pieces. Night Stand is a piece which Lisa breaks from using paper and instead uses wood. At first glance it looked like a broken hen house, but closer examination reveals it to be much more. The way that several pieces of wood are arranged in Night Stand make it look like it is revolving around something, perhaps the Star of David in the back of the piece (still wondering why Lisa does this). After seeing some of Lisa’s work I would say I like how she gets inspired by other artists and her use of some of them in her art work. Some of her pieces seemed like not enough effort was placed into it (like Clown typeface), while others seem like she put months into them (like Rainbow). It is very interesting and sort of mysterious to me why she has drawings or symbols in the back of some of her work.

Confused Artist Responde: Lisa Lapinski

This lecture experience was very unique. In the beginning I was excited to see an emerging artist whose art I find inspiring and appealing. Her works of art had already captured my attention in the past due to her intricately crafted work and the incorporation of a wide range of materials in her sculptures; such as drawing, painting, photography, cement, clay, wall-paper, wood and snoopy figurines. However, as I was listening to her presentation I got very confused. I could not follow her train of thought about her work. This I found very surprising since her sculptures, especially one called " Nightstand", are structurally organized and well executed. Another irritating aspect of her presentation was that she always referred to other artists, whose names were not revealed, in order to explain her own work. She even read her own reaction piece to an unknown artist to give a better understanding of her own work. All in all, even though I got very confused, I was able to see where she draws her inspiration. Her sources of inspiration are literature, religion, philosophy, psychology and history. Although this seems to be a negative response to the artist lecture, I still do not think negatively about the artist and her work. After all, one of the reasons that people decide to be artists is because they can better express their ideas visually than verbally.

Lisa Lapinski

I was very surprised at the number of people that showed up to the visiting artist lecture. All in all, it was nice to see an artist that really doesn't put too much thought behind her work. Although i did not really find her work all that interesting, I did like the way that she spoke so informally but at the same time, fore a lecture like that it would have been nice to have more organization. The work of hers that had the symbols of religion and the swastica and stuff on it really stood out to me, but not for any reason other than the fact that i recognized the symbols that were on it. I do remember when she was talking about how her friends work was criticized for not having enough meaning and she defended her friend. This part i liked because the work that i do does not have all that much meaning either, i just like to make things that look cool.

Lisa Lapinski

Lisa Lapinski holds and M.F.A. and has an upcoming show at the Midway; the title is Lint’s Wedding Song. I decided to go see this particular speaker because I am very interested in sculpture.
However, I was not impressed with Lisa’s work. I could see that she drew a lot of influence from religion and some from sexual or regressive themes. It seemed to me that she saw a piece of “artwork? and got all of her influence from that one piece to make a bunch of her own artwork. And then for some reason she just had to have art deco hands in everything. The religious meaning behind the work was really obvious because of all the symbols she just stuck on her pieces. I think the only work of hers I actually liked were her early drawings.
Lisa talked a little about how a critic said that her work had no deep meaning and how she argued that, but I was not really convinced. Anyone could see what she is interested in by looking at her work but I do not see any profound deep meaning behind the pieces; they just look like experiments.

Lisa Lapinski

Listening to Lisa Lapinski present her work was an interesting experience. My expectations as to what to expect from a presentation were shaken. This was an excursion into a wildly creative, somewhat chaotically organized depiction of an artist’s inspiration.
It was certainly hard to draw direct connections to specific experiences she mentioned and their apparent existence in her work. Rather, it is probably more accurate to say that there was never a moment when a piece of her work was about one concept or one story. She drew from multiple references across a wide range of ideas and sources. For instance, I found it interesting that she explained her current piece as somehow related to Hitler and Wittgenstein, but also drew influence from another artist who recently stopped producing art. The stories she told all seemed significant enough to hold meaning within her work, it was just a matter of seeing it realized in the pieces.
Lisa Lapinski also mentioned the Shakers in relation to a sculpture she had constructed. I found this source of information to be fairly intriguing, with potential to be almost ethnographic in nature. However, she claimed as a conclusion that the piece actually had relatively nothing to do with the Shakers. I found this confusing, yet could see how in contrast with the other artists she mentioned, this was probably true.
The segments of the presentation I enjoyed most were the written pieces she shared with us. These consisted of a reaction piece to another artist’s work (which she claimed may as well have been about her work) and an e-mail exchange with a curator. Both were intense and captivating. They offered a glimpse into the kind of creativity and unique interpretation that she holds. More than anything else, these two written pieces helped me understand a bit more exactly where Lisa draws her ideas from.
I also enjoyed seeing her drawings and student work, although she did not spend much time elaborating upon them. I thought it would be interesting to hear a little more on some of those pieces, such as maybe an explanation (or any ideas, really) on how the massive amounts of wallpaper played a role “conceptually? (even though this word draws out the issues of function mentioned in the e-mail to the curator who wanted to know something similar . . . )
As an overall reaction, I was a bit thrown by her atypical, scattered approach to presenting her work. Looking back, I believe I was actually also confused in the same way by most of her work. However, this is by no means a negative thing. It’s somewhat refreshing to have no idea what’s going on, and have the creator of the work add to this sensation by offering a background.

Artist Response:Lisa Lapinski

Lisa Lapinski is a sculpture and photographer from Los Angeles. A portion of her work is currently being displayed here in Minneapolis. The presentation started out with her showing pictures of some of her work and then talking about them. However, she did not talk about what they meant to her because as she put it "they lack meaning." This was an interesting thing for her to reveal because some of the pieces she showed had the Star of David and swastikas in them. She also read an email that she wrote to a critic who criticized one of her friends work for not having meaning. This was probably my favorite part of the presentation because she actual took the time to organize her thoughts and spell out what she was trying to say. A lot of the rest of the presentation lacked flow and meaning, she was somewhat hard to understand.

Artist Visit: Lisa Lapinski plus Designing our own graves Redo

Seeing and hearing about Lapinski's work from her visiting was a unique experience. It was unique in the way so many people showed up to here her talk in a very informal and unprepared way. This was refreshing to start but ended up annoying me. She had multiple pieces of work none of which I remember the name of. The first was a display including various historic and religious symbols including a swastika, star of David, and the cross. They were positioned on various designs of fences surrounding a historic podium. A lot of her work included the star of David, which I dont recall her explaining. She often used an arm emerging from nothing and wall paper, also things that she did not provide an explanation for. I was disappointed in the lack of explanation on these reoccurring items.

Also, I noticed that my response for the Designing graves was not up. Contrary to the article I think the easy access to amateur work and flood of media is a great thing. It helps the world discover great artist that may have gone on undetected. I cant remember what else I wrote about it but overall disagreed with his negative outlook.

Visiting Artist Response:Lisa Lapinski

Lisa Lapinski had some interesting concepts with her sculpture art, some of which I thought were engaging and others I did not find anything special about. I enjoyed her knowledge of the cultures from which she based her designs on, such as the Shakers. However, I had a difficult time understanding what she meant with some of her artwork, since she seemed a bit nervous throughout the presentation and I often felt disengaged. Perhaps this could be because I was in the overflow seating and had to watch her on a screen, which did take away from the experience. Honestly I preferred her drawing to her sculptures, mostly since I found a more aesthetic quality to them and was better able to connect to them than I did to the sculptures. I did find her love for art pleasing, however, such as her recreation of some swimsuit model drawings that had been covered up (this happened when the building on which they originally were located was converted into a pre-school.) She seemed very at ease when reading other people's work, and I found those readings quite fascinating, and was glad that she shared them with us. Mostly, the presentation could have been amplified by Lapinski's confidence in her own work, which did not show through as well as it could have by her nervous demeanor.

Visiting Artist Response: Michael Kruger

“Prints, Drawings and other things? was the title of the slides Michael Kruger presented last week of his work. Michael Kruger is a well known print maker and has experimented with the medium for awhile. He mentioned during his presentation that he likes to use techniques where he is able to scan and recombine images.

At the beginning of his presentation, Michael mentioned what influenced him and his work. He talked about German Impressionism and how he idolizes certain artist based on how they use lines. Michael also explained his fascination with personified objects and how they strongly influence his work. He talked about how he likes the idea of “animating the ordinary world,? or “making the natural world extraordinary.? Michael collects books, figurines, and other objects that might be of inspiration to him.

I found one of his most interesting ideas to be the notebook series. He collaborated his old doodles on his notebooks with recent drawings of his. He likes to comment on cultural parallels, especially those that reflect political issues. One of his works entitled, “Shopping Jefferson,? made a statement saying how “we all live beyond our means.? Jefferson abused his creditability and was thousands of dollars in debt by the time of his death. Michael was making a point that we all live at the expense of others.

Visiting Aritist: Michael Krueger

Michael Krueger's work covers a broad range of mediums and ideas. Whether he's dealing with digital media/images, print making, or drawing, his themes and personality always shine through.

One theme he demonstrated in some of his works was the idea of making and animating something that is ordinary, and transforming it into the extraordinary. One way he did this involved a series of images of fruits and everyday foods or objects and giving them distinct human features (like a face, arms, legs, etc.) I thought this was a really cool concept because I have always looked at everyday objects in a very human-esque way, giving trees faces, or looking at the shapes of things. On top of that, the images he showed were pretty funny, which is fitting because Michael Krueger is a pretty funny guy.

Another concept in his works involved cultural identity. Having found his old high school notebooks one day, he decided to use those and create something new out of them. Filled with sketches of heavy metal band names and images of his teenage years, he made color prints over these images, and created works of art. I like this process of creating something new out of old things (and especially pertaining to pop-culture or lifestyles of that time).

Besides this, Krueger presented work heavily influenced by American History and Kansas History (he teaches at the University of Kansas), as well as works construced with amazingly accurate symmetry. Overall, I liked his works and ideas that he presented, and thought that his fresh (and humorous) views on pop-culture, history, and human nature are a breath of fresh air to the boring, day-to-day images around us.

Nikki S. Lee Visiting Artist Response

Starting the presentation with a bit of a sense of humor, Nikki S. Lee quickly allowed her audience to get to know her fun and quirky personality. Nikki was a born and mainly grew up in a “Korea-Korea? environment as she put it. She only was a witness to Korean culture growing up, very unlike the mixed cultures young people today experience as they mature in American societies. Intrigued by American culture Nikki decided to move to New York City to pursue a career as a photographer. She decided to enter the commercial field and did not find it artistically satisfying. As she began to do her own work, she experimented with concepts of reality. What was real to her and what was fake? She went to galleries and read books focusing on photography and philosophy. Eventually she was led to the idea of exploring identity issues. She stated that “I exist because others exist? concentrating on the idea that the people you surround yourself with affect how you act. “Why am I so sweet to boyfriend ‘A’ and a bitch to boyfriend ‘B,’? she asked herself. Nikki came up with the conclusion that everyone’s personality has various “layers? (which she entitled one of her recent works). Each layer is either peeled away or built up according to the types of relationships you are in and the experiences you have. “How many faces do people have,? she wondered? In this work she used multiple transparent paper drawings of herself and layered them on top of each other for a picture. We were not able to see the work, but it would have been interesting to see how the different artists perceived her. How did other people and cultures see her face?

She also demonstrates this identity concept in her work by showing herself in pictures with her various partners. In the “snapshots? her partners’ faces are cut out, leaving only parts of his body visible. It is evident how her personality shifts from picture to picture and person to person. She leaves the features of her partner out of the picture to allow the viewer to make his/her own story about the work. I thought this method was powerful. I was able to relate to the work and it made me question how the people in my life cause my personality to change. It made me realize that life is too short to be around people who bring the worst out in you. The purpose of those images for her was to review her identity through others thoughts. However, I think the viewers were able to review and question their identities through her work.

The Influx with Nikki S. Lee

When we were shown a piece by Nikki S. Lee in class that was the first time I was putting her name with her artwork. The piece intrigued me and got me anxious to come hear her talk. Nikki's artwork consists of a wide selection of photographs. To an outsider they look like snapshot pictures taken from a wide variety of social groups and diverse individuals that make up communities around the United States. Where the uniqueness of this artwork comes into play is that the artist herself has become a part of each of these social groups.
This artwork is definitely something that people need to have background information on or they wil not fully understand the creativity behind it. Once the viewer is aware that Nikki is a part of each picture many more questions arise. I think she is creative in her approach and her style shows how committed she is to her work. She doesn't just jump next to a random person and snap a photo; Nikki submerges herself into a culture, she learns their dress, their communication, their attitudes and their actions and then transforms.
Thinking about the process Nikki goes through to create her artwork I think I personally would love to do the same. I love interacting with new people and learning about their background so this sort of photography project would be perfect for my character and personality.
I think one thing that would be interesting to see is a sort of scrapbook done by Nikki. If she were to infiltrate a family of some social class or culture group and become a part of them and then create a scrapbook of her "family life". She may have a piece similar to this but I think it would be fun to see a story created out of her photos.
Overall I enjoyed hearing from Nikki and certainly found it to be a beneficial talk because now I can understand and really appreciate her photographic artwork.

Nikki S. Lee

Nikki S. Lee, may perhaps be best known for her picture projects involving her dressing up as different people. Truthfully I do not see any art in these pictures. Along with many artists Nikki seems to seep into the realm of comedians, which is not necessarily bad but too much humor can say that she is either an artist or a comedian. As I observed her photos and the audience’s reactions to them it seemed more like a comedic show rather than an artist presentation. I can understand that Nikki took a lot of work in setting up these photos but to me it is similar to Dave Chappelle dressing up like famous people all for comedy. For example Nikki has a “Senior Series? in which she dresses up like an old woman, and when the audience saw them they started to laugh. The “Part Series? was art to me because it was Nikki portraying herself and the mood of the audience was in observance, and them trying to understand what it meant. The other series that were presented seemed like sketches some funny, and some not.

Artist Response

Lowery Stokes Sims spoke about ethnic notions. She began by talking about the movie “Crash? and how it brought to light many of the stereotypes that are accepted as truth by many people. Sims went on to talk about an art class she taught where they discussed the aspect of ethnicity in art; she showed a few examples of art that spoke strongly about race. She also touched on the power of the television in encouraging stereotypes and how we all accept what is said there as the truth.
I really found what Sims had to say about diversity assimilation interesting. On one hand I really think that everyone should conform at least somewhat to the culture that they live in. For example, when someone comes to live in the United States from another country I believe they should learn the language and what is socially acceptable in America. Although, I also think that it is important to retain the richness and diversity of the different cultures in the U.S. and to preserve the different ethnic and religious identities of everyone. I scoff at people I see “pretending? to be someone they are not, dressing or acting outside of their roots. It really is a shame that there is such pressure to assimilate to what is considered “normal?.
I enjoyed listening to Sims, she was lively and engaging; I would recommend that anyone who did not see her this time around to go when she comes to speak again in December.

Visiting Artist Response

Continue reading "Visiting Artist Response" »