so

Here's the link to the beginning of the page:

http://www.d.umn.edu/~garde023/Html/flash/main.swf

hopefully more to come. i'm having troubles with the pages themselves that this links out to. that may need to be done tonight.

This week.

So this week I forgot to post on Tuesday, but I did meet with Sarah so that was the most important thing. My friend ended up helping me start my webpage, which was awesome, and we really got a good start on it. The site is not live yet, but I had the file to show on Tuesday. I'm working on modifying (with the help of my friend, of course) the colors and type that I have on there so far.

My last huge task is figuring out how to get the questions up. Basically, I'm trying to figure out the structure and web of questions, and that's what I'm hoping to accomplish this weekend/before Tuesday. I'll update after I get it done!

Since last week I haven’t played with the online portion of my project at all.

The link is still :

www.d.umn.edu/~garde023

I’m still working on my pages as the semester goes on. I am having difficulty finishing all of the questions and being able to organize them in a way that makes sense for me to structure the final page.

The other thing I am struggling with is the .gif files that I’m creating, the actual illumination therapy’s. The files are becoming too big when I make them the length that I want them to be, so I have to figure something out there as well.

Since there isn’t much up here, and I was sick of starring at my screen and started to write downa lot more in my sketchbook, so that’s why it looks like I haven’t gotten very far. It’s all documented, just not in the computer yet.

That is all for now!

example of my page

www.d.umn.edu/~garde023

This is just a look at what the structure will be similar to. There is no info on there yet because I'm still trying to figure out the wording, but it is in progress as well.

This also only shows an example containing only two questions, which is not how the page will be. There will be, for most of them, many more.

Over break...

I did not get much done. I didn't post often, knowing that when I came back I'd have to pick up slack, but that's okay because I'm back on track now. So far this morning I've been working on the questions that will guide the viewer through the page, and it's harder than I thought! I'm basically laying out what each color entails and suggests, and then working backwards from there. By the end of the day I hope to have this ball rolling, and have a few of the paths of questions established. I've already started what the pages will look like, which is very simple, so once I finish some of these, I can put them into that format and see how they work.

I'll try to post later to see how far I got.

Final Project Proposal

So. To update my project proposal, here are some more specific qualities that this project will have:

-It will be a webpage (which this part of it, has not changed)
-The pages leading up to the chromotherapy pages will be in all black and white, probably using helvetica font
-It will have at least three "opening" pages to guide the viewer in and give them some information
-These pages will be followed by the question pages that will reach upwards of 25 to 30, some unconnected and some interconnected pages
-The final questions will bring a user to their final "prescription" page where their chromotherapy will take place
-It will end with some sort of wrap up for the user, either a description of what they just experienced or a description of what chromotherapy can do for a person in general. And credits.

Along the way, as I am already finding, there are some kinks. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my animations in photoshop look graceful. It's somewhat jumpy right now, and that would def. work against my page. I've worked with a few pages having colors fade in and out, and they have to have a ton of frames to work correctly, but that may be the only way to do it.

Other than that, I'm thinking of posting more than once a week, because I think that will help keep me on track. I dropped the ball a little last week as far as progressing my project extremely far, so I need to keep tabs on myself.

more to come.

Today

I am trying to figure out how to upload my images. I am currently working on my pages and playing with the color pages that i wanted to create. I say this, because we may not be meeting today. I will be posting my project proposal shortly, with more information and hopefully images.

I think I'm just posting to remind myself to post again today...plus I haven't posted in a while.

Project Proposal

Initial Inspiration:
My interest in color in general arose at the beginning of the semester. As you know we were told to do a project on something that interested us, and this was the first thing that came to my mind. I think it partially came from my photography. I started photo in high school and we learned only black and white, traditional photography. I now find myself in digital photography and still trying to convert them into black and white. I also find an interest in how the brain works and reacts to certain situations, (the psychology behind things) and thought that color is a really interesting and complex part of our lives. As my research went on, it’s even more complex than I initially expected.

Research:
It’s hard to document all of my research. I’m on my third book about physical, physiological, emotional, and mood alerting abilities of colors themselves. Not only color, but color combined with the study of light, (referred to in some places as lumia-the art of light). There is a ton of information out there on the study of color, and the study of light

Below are a few websites, some that you’ve already seen, that can be of some help in explaining where I’m going. There’s some information on the type of research that I’m also doing in books, because I trust printed books more than I trust some of the websites that I’ve found.

http://www.photonlightguitars.com/ (art)

http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-definition/Photobiology/ (definition)

http://www.pol-us.net/ASP_Home/whatis.html (information)

http://www.diacenter.org/hiller/ (art-previously viewed “dream screens”)

http://www.diacenter.org/simmons/ (art-previously viewed)

Creation:
I plan on creating a website for a combination of color and light therapy. There are color aspects and light aspects that can effect, change, and enhance a persons mood, energy level, alertness, etc. I find it interesting that this is even possible, and though I’m not a doctor, I’d like to create a website of my findings that can be almost like a diagnosis center for current issues or moods that people are in. If they want to enhance their current disposition, than they can choose a route that enhances their current state. If they are looking to reverse their current state of mind or mood, they will also be able to choose to go that direction. Like we spoke about before, I’m thinking of doing a short questionnaire at the beginning of the website, which asks them questions about how they are feeling and where they would like to go, and depending on their answers, they will be brought to a final “place” of color and light therapy to treat them.

Methods:
I somewhat already described this above, but my method of communication in this project will be through the internet. I feel that putting something like this up on the internet could potentially make this an easy accessible source of therapy. Of course, it all comes down to the fact that I need enough information and research on color and light therapy for it to make an impact on a viewer so that they feel the need and want to come back and try another time to change their mood. The way that I’m planning on combining color and light is by creating a rhythm, pattern, a movement that appropriately enhances the effects of that certain amount of light and certain amount of color which can change or enhance a persons current state.

Weekly Timeline:
Week 1 (this week) and Week 2 (March 1-7): Create Initial home page, overall look for page(s) including typeface, grid used, size of page, etc. How many colors I use will be decided on and which effects each will have. Create network of where questions will be going and where they will end up taking the viewer.

Week 3 (March 8-14): Make rollovers (if I decide to use them over the text and questions) and start making the question pages. These should be done by this week and have all routes for possible outcomes finished. Simple, open, and non-altering colors, questions and directions used.

Week 4 (March 15-21): Start creating the specific color and light “therapy’s” that the viewer will be experiencing. Finish at least two so that the reviewed version of the webpage for classmates will have two different types of destinations so they have an idea of where I’m going.

Week 5 (March 22-28): Prepare web page with all of completed information to show group. Have working links and pages to show progress and direction of page. Still working on “therapy’s” during this process.

Week 6 (March 29-April 4): Complete three more therapy’s this week. Make sure web page is currently cohesive and going in the right direction.

Week 7 (April 5-11): Finish any remaining colors to be addressed, seek help through meetings with Sarah or classmates to discuss completion of project.

Week 8 (April 12-18): All connected pages are finished this week and linked.

Week 9 (April 19-25): This week will be used to finish and resolve any problems or variations that may arise on the web page. Typos, linking issues, wording problems, etc will be addressed and worked on.

Week 10 (April 26-May 2): Project is completed! All problems and kinks are worked out and a complete and successful web page is finished!