Al Pacino Digitally Creates a Woman

The video I've attached is the trailer for a movie that premiered in 2002 called Simone, starring Al pacino. His character is a producer whose film is endangered when his star walks off, so he decides to digitally create an actress to substitute for the star, the digital actress 'Simone' becomes an overnight sensation that everyone loves and thinks is a real person. You can see in the trailer that Al Pacino's character eventually starts conversing with this fake woman he has created, talking to her as if she is a real person and in the end, when he tries to get rid of her, he can't seem to find a way to erase her from his life even though she is only a computer generated being. Our reading "Simulated Nature and Natural Simulations: Rethinking the Relationship between the Beholder and the World" by Katherine Hayles, reminded me of this movie and the close relationship Al Pacino forms with this woman he created. Throughout the movie, he slowly forgets that Simone isn't a real person and gets lost in this version of reality that he has created, with a fake woman controlling his life. He begins to care very much about this computer generated woman and replaces real human interaction with his interactions with her, which consist only of him speaking into a microphone that changes his voice into hers and then responding to what he just said as if she was the one who said it. As we look at the world around us, one unavoidable aspect is our participation in its creation, representation, and ontology. It's possible that our image of the world could be a simulation caused by an external agent, but also our representation of the external world could actually be a simulation caused by an agent: us. This can lead one to lose faith in the previously "external" world, or gain faith in the new "virtual" worlds. Do you think there are risks in the development of these new virtual worlds? What do you think the effects virtual and simulated worlds have on the way people interact and participate in the physical or external world? Do these simulations (computer generated people, worlds, identities ect.) create new ideas of what is considered 'natural' today?

Virtual worlds can have many risks. People who delve into these virtual games and worlds can sometimes forget about reality, they become so hooked on the program, they lose sight of their real dreams. I say this because I know two men completely addicted to World of Warcraft. To both of them, all their friends are online. One man is actually my friend's father and he owns his own business in which he spends less time on the business than he does on the computer. He will stay in the shop all night playing the game and smoking cigarettes, while he has other people to work for him. The other man owned a business and lost it because of his obsession with the game. Neither of the men were ever very social, but it has become alarmingly worse. To the point where my friend won't see his dad for days because of WOW! For both of these men, the virtual world has very greatly effected their reality. To me and my friend, it seems as though the game is more important than the external world for these guys and perhaps that there needs to be a WOW Anonymous to help them understand that their gaming is not "natural"!

This page contains a single entry by terpx006 published on December 6, 2010 8:00 PM.

Which world is more real? was the previous entry in this blog.

Global Day of Action for Climate Justice is the next entry in this blog.