Assignment #12

Here is assignment #12: Download file

- Doug

Final paper template

Dear all,

Here is the template for your final paper, due in my mailbox by 9am Wed. December 12.
Download file

- Doug

Assignment #11

Dear all,

Here it is:

Download file

- Doug

Assignment #9

Dear all,

Here is assignment #9: Download file

- Doug

Read about jar-ing up your code

Dear all,

Hi. Here is the reading to do for this week's assignment: Download file

- Doug

frustration with mxj~

Is anyone trying to use mxj~ ? Is it me or is this the worst signal processing language ever? I realize using java externals for signal processing is silly to begin with because it will always be slower than C, but for my own edification I thought I would dash off a karplus strong algorithm in java. Well, here I am six hours later, with greatly reduced ambitions, and I can't even get the simplest filter imaginable to work--the one where you take the previous sample value, add the current sample value, and divide by 2. If anyone can figure out what's wrong with this code, I'd be grateful.

Patrick

Download file

Assignment #8

Dear all,

Hi. Here is assignment #8.
Download file

- Doug

Max Java externals PDF

Dear all,

Hi. Herre is the PDF "Writing Max Externals in Java." Please read pages 1-55 for Monday. Download file

You may also wish to go to http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/maxmsp to grab the 90-day demo of Max and/or the Java docs.

- Doug

Java Sound API

Dear all,

Hi. FYI, Ben Ortega has agreed to give a class presentation in an upcoming week on the subject of the Java Sound API. Meanwhile, here is the Java Sound Programmer's Guide:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/sound/programmer_guide/contents.html

- Doug

Assignment #7 code

Dear all,

Hi. Here is the code to study and comment for this week's assignment: Download file

Best wishes,

Doug

Let's put our heads together

For several weeks now I've felt like we've all been going it alone on these programming assignments. It occurs to me now that the real utiliity of this blog is its function as a space where we can each post and comment on eachother's work. I don't mind being the first to do so...so here we go.

The following is my stab at last week's assignment regarding linked lists. If you download it you will find that the whole thing compiles nicely and runs with a nicely crafted GUI--that is, until you try to use it at which point it throws a NullPointerException. I've been staring at this for days trying to get it to run properly. I know that whatever it is that I am missing here is probably glaring and bone-headed. Nonetheless, my myopia keeps me from discovering the cause. It seems to me that an apraisal by others' eyes may shed light on my predicament.

Download file

Thanks in advance,

J

Assignment #6

Dear all,

Here is assignment #6: Download file

- Doug

Java MIDI problem

Dear everyone,

I've been working on an app that has MIDI playback and spent the entire weekend trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound even as the program wasn't throwing any errors my way. It turns out, depending on which version of java you have and which OS you are using you may or may not have a soundbank installed. In this case Java is **supposed to** use the system default soundbank. However, this may not always work--especially if you have a non-standard system configuration. If you are encountering similar problems and your java install doesn't have an audio sub-directory and, thus, no soundbank installed than you might save yourself a few days of effort by visiting the following link:

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/soundbanks.html

Here's me cursing Java and its barely navigable documentation on the subject: J*S&$F_*#&NGC%R*@!

ZIP file here

Here is a zip archive of yesterday's code: Download file

Yeee-ha!

- Doug

Assignment #5

Dear all,

Here is the assignment for next Monday: Download file

- Doug