« TiVo (and other information goods) | Main

Second Life

I found this article to be absolutely fascinating. The amount of money that can be made on this video game is astounding. I knew that there was a large black market for video game pieces, but had never heard of an entirely legitimate market such as this one. I actually found it a little disturbing to hear about this game at first, but after thinking about it, it isn’t that different than paying $50 for the Sims (only your paying a per/item rate instead of a one time fee).
This game raises a lot of possible business opportunities. Building a casino in real life would require a lot of capital, whereas if you know how to program a little bit you could build an entire gambling computer program, which would be like a casino that would allow avatars to gamble with their Linden dollars. This could be a very successful business if it caught on, although I’m guessing you would probably need some sort of license to run any kind of an online gambling service. Still, the idea of working entirely on Second Life instead of your first life is a real world possibility.
Another thing I found interesting was the question raised by the other about Second Life possibly being a gateway for criminals to launder their dirty money. I’m sure almost every sight that transfers money from one person to the next has to worry about this, but it is still an interesting idea.