Holidays Mexican Style

I have done so much since my last blog entry that I feel it will be impossible to fit it into one blog.  Plus I´m in a big hurry on my way to Oaxaca, so I'm gonna sum up all the activates really briefly and a link to the pictures which speak for themselves.   First of all there were more parties! We celebrated my aunts bday at an Italian restaurant and celebrated my uncles birthday with a surprise party for him! There was lots of delicious food and we even broke into an impromptu dance party with the ladies from my dance class! (Every Tuesday and Thursday my aunt has a dance instructor come to her house to teach a dance class.  I have been joining in while I have been here; it has been a blast even though everyone beats me in age by at least a few decades!)

My brother and girlfriend were in town so us three when to go see Placido Domingo the famous opera singer, sing for free on the main street of the city.  Once again all the relatives shyed away from the crowds, but we had a great time.  There were hundreds of thousand of people there from babies, to teens, to very old people out that night to hear him sing class opera, maricachi and Christmas music all in between the angel of independence ( one of the most beautiful and significant monuments in Mexican History) and the worlds largest Christmas tree (yes officially; Mexico City is obsessed with breaking records, other records they have broken, most people kissing at once in one spot, largest naked people pictures, lasts crowd dancing thriller).

We celebrated Christmas at my aunts house.  The Mexican tradition is to celebrate Christmas eve (Noche Buena) and we enjoyed great company and a midnight turkey dinner!  Christmas day my brother and I skyped the family in Minnesota and pathetically watched them have Christmas from the computer screen : ).  Then we went to my cousins house and spent quality time with the cousins and eating left over's.  We celebrated Kent's birthday the next day with a lovely meal at my aunts house and then out for drink in our neighborhood with the cousins.

We also were able to squeeze in going to Chapultepec Castle, once where the preseidents lived, now a history museum, and the museum of modern art.  And we went to Xochimilco one sunday, which is a canal where people float in colorfully painted boats and there everything that you could want floats up to you, beer, food, vendors, mariachis, plants! Its very cool! 

Next I got to go on a fabulous vacation with my aunt and uncle, and some of my cousins.  We drove north to the region of Lourdes to stay the first night.  There the scenery was small town desert Mexico.  The region of Lourdes has a lot of fresh mineral water that they sell to drink and also use therapeutically for bathing.  Our hotel had filled Jacuzzis with it for us to enjoy!  The next day we drove to Ciudad Valles.  As we drove the landscape started to become more green.  Soon there were tons of sugar cane fields, banana trees, orange trees and amazing lush valleys.  I think that the scenery was in the top for most beautiful I have ever seen!  The first day we went to see Edward James´s garden in the jungle. He was a surrealist artist who made his painting come to life in this garden in the middle of the jungle. It was really amazing and crazy looking.  The next day we went again into the jungle to see La Hoya do Las Huahuas.  The Huahuas are a type of bird that lives fly into this giant cave hole that they discovered in the jungle in the sixties.   On the 31st we went to this amazing places will lots of waterfalls.  We were able to jump off the waterfalls and swim from waterfall to waterfall in this beautiful river. Some of the waterfalls were really high up and scary to jump off, it was a pretty funny sight to see us at the edge of the waterfall for a half hour contemplating whether to jump or not with everyone yelling at us to jump! me and my cousin laughed that it was a good way to jump into the New Year.  Seriously what dreams are made of, it was soooo gorgeous.   We brought in the New Year that night in style at the hotel´s party that included a live band, dinner and champagne and grapes for midnight (12 grapes for 12 wishes for the new year, so gobble down at midnight is a Mexican tradition).  So in a nutshell I had a wonderful time! I leave for Oaxaca tomorrow morning to start my Child Family Health International program.  Wish me luck!!

Picture Link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2665492&id=8609614&l=10dced98da

Until next time....

THERESE