On the Road Again

I just finished my finals I am now more than ½ done with my masters degree in environmental public health, yah!  I feel I have learned so much in the last year, and met a lot of very amazing like-minded people in the school of public health.  But it seems like the more I go to school and learn, the more I realize I don't know.   And I always thought it would be the other way around...

Anyway, today I leave for Honduras to do my field experience.  The field experience is a required part of my degree program, with the purpose of getting us out in the public health arena in the real world to practice applying our skills.   I am going with Engineers without Borders to the area of Sulaco, Honduras to work on a water supply project that serves 9 rural communities. This project fits well for me because I have a global concentration in my degree, I always like an opportunity to improve my Spanish, and water issues are one of my main interests in public health.

I feel like I am pretty comfortable traveling in Latin America after doing it alone last year.  What I am most anxious about is going with the responsibilities of being the only public health person in the group.  But none-the-less, I am very excited to go on this new challenge and to roam new territory. I will be helping with community education and health surveying among many other things.  My main goal is just to help the engineers in whatever way they need and to make sure that everything that we are doing is in the best interest for the health of the communities that we are supporting with our project. 

Sulaco is going to be very rural and I'm not even sure if I will have internet access while I am gone, but I will write as soon as I can and I will be taking a camera and a flip video cam so I should have some interesting things to share soon!!!

Paz amigos,

THERESE

Hi Therese, My son is Rob Peschke, a student going on the trip as a UMM student. Found your blog and am very excited to learn more about the trip as it progresses. Say hi to Rob and hope you have some internet access to share during your trip.