Main | The Medium Is the Message - McLuhan »

Keen and his "Cult of the Amateur"

Throughout Andrew Keen's "The Cult of the Amateur", he takes a lot of stabs at the way new media is developing. He discredits amateur journalists who shouldn't really count as journalists to begin with. He also attributes many things like the decline of music and the new age of identity theft to the Web 2.0 and new media world. What is unclear about Keen's assertions is whether or not he's truly being serious throughout his destruction of new media. At times, he seems like he is writing in a satirical and comedic manner by the way he just tears down the new music and journalism industry with no hesitation. I can understand his point of view through most of it, and some of it I even agree with him on. Yet, I don't feel as though these "amateur" bloggers and journalists should not receive some type of recognition for their efforts. Some actually provide legitimate and semi-professional material all without earning a formal degree. I can understand that professional journalists do much better and more polished work, but it is nice to hear from the entire range of consumers of media and news. The younger generation can contribute just as much as the older and more experienced generation.

I do agree that music should seek new and innovative ways to salvage the things that we used to treasure about how music was distributed and listened to a decade ago. Peer-to-peer file sharing makes music way to accessible to get without paying for. I have fallen victim to this just as nearly everyone else who is a consumer of music. Nearly our entire generation is falling into the trend of music theft and such. The artists, the ones who we treasure and rely on to put out this music, are suffering because of it. This leads me to question why something hasn't been done about it to put an end or to slow it down. We need to see it from their point of view at least.