« Reading List | Main | Let's Design! »

Built Environment

room.jpg
M Y R O O M
living room.jpg
M Y L I V I N G R O O M
house.jpg
M Y H O U S E
dinkytown.JPG
D I N K Y T O W N
u of m.jpg
U N I V E R S I T Y O F M I N N E S O T A
minneapolis.jpg
M I N N E A P O L I S
minnesota.jpg
M I N N E S O T A
united_states_wall_2002_us.jpg
T H E U N I T E D S T A T E S

Unfortunately, I have only experienced the built environment firsthand in the United States and nowhere else. Don’t get me wrong, the effect that just my surrounding environment alone has had on me is astounding. I try to think about even something like my hometown. If I grew up in a built environment populated with houses, businesses, malls, high schools – would I still have chosen to attend the University of Minnesota? Or is it because I grew up in a smaller built environment that I felt the need to branch out and experience something different?

Additionally, I feel that to some extent, everyday, everywhere I go, my environment affects me in some way. It is hard to see why it wouldn’t – I spend about 95% of my days indoors or on a sidewalk or walking across a bridge.

I still am very fuzzy as to how the whole idea of frameworks, clockworks, and phenomena are important to incorporate with the built environment. I know that the above mentioned are just a set of terms used to describe the way in which things work and are classified and arranged. It would be nice to know them even better so I could realize what I am coming in contact with on a day to day basis. I feel as if these terms are hindering and just words to me – I really am interested in taking the time to determine that my bed is not only a framework physically, but also in the matter that there are specific requirements and standards that are present for a bed to be called a bed. Why is this important to the built environment? Where would we be without frameworks? Clockworks? Phenomena?