Analysis: Jobs created through green initiatives

Analysis will be turned in on Monday.

Analysis: Woodbury's new complex

I think that both papers treated the issue fairly, though it is an interesting subject as it is a proposed SportsPlex and a presentation hasn’t even been made. I felt that the Star Tribune seemed fairer to the subject as it stressed that this is a proposed and not finalized plan—the quote from Hargis was a very perfect summary of the issue at hand:

“Because we do our work out in public, sometimes people think the deal’s a done deal when it’s not,? he said. “The concept would be for the private group to manage the entire ice arena, but we’re a long way from getting to that conclusion. We have not seen detailed pro formas or market studies.?

The Pioneer Press didn’t seem to mention that the process for the SportsPlex is in its very early stages and hasn’t been presented to the city planning commission yet. I did, however, appreciate that the Pioneer Press used the managing partner with Mesaba Capital Partners as a source. That inclusion gave more details from a different point of view and it still had comments from the mayor.

Analysis: State sues Sprint

Both the Star Tribune and the Pioneer Press covered the story of Minnesota’s attorney general suing Sprint Nextel. The Star Tribune article refers to the lawsuit, and is correct in its explanation of the case, as shown by the civil filing in Hennepin County’s District Court. The article informs readers that some of the complaints include a threat of $200 in cancellation fees; this checks out in the civil filing as Elizabeth Adamek was an individual who “was told that she would have to pay $200 in early termination fees if she canceled her service.? Other defendants, according to the filing were told to pay anywhere from $150 to $400 in cancellation fees.

The article also references a “courtesy discount,? which could be seen in Peggy Dahl’s example in the filing. Dahl had been receiving a 5% discount on her account for months without being informed; though she had been with the company for more than five years, Sprint was still going to charge a $150 cancellation fee because of the change with the 5% discount. This same discount that extends the contract was given to Katie Rogness and was referenced in section 21 in Factual Background.

The Star Tribune also writes that Swanson is asking for restitution and civil penalties, as well as barring practices. This is confirmed in the filing: “Enjoining Defendants, and its employees, officers, directors, agents, successors, assignees, affiliates, merged or acquired predecessors, parent or controlling entities, subsidiaries, and all other persons acting in concert of participation with it, from the conduct described herein, or violating in any other way Minn. Stat. §§ 325F.69 and 325D.44, subd. 1.? Civil penalties and restitution are explicitly recognized in parts C and D.

The Pioneer Press article refers to the lawsuit as well, mentioning that Sprint violated the Minnesota’s consumer Fraud and Deceptive Trade Practices Act, which corresponds to the two counts on pages 18 and 19. The quote that is in the article is found in the Introduction to the case.

The article’s reference to Semple is documented (#36 on page 15), but I was unable to locate David Peterson in the document.

Based on my examination of the civil filing, both of the papers were accurate and fair in their coverage of the suit. I was able to find all of the information that was given by the paper, except for the Pioneer Press's reference to David Peterson. I'm not sure if I just missed him in the document or if he was an outside source.

Both articles did a good job of breaking down the 21-page filing into something that anyone can understand it still got details. I thought the Pioneer Press did a better job of bringing in the individual examples in the document and thus gave a more comprehensive story than the Star Tribune.

Analysis: Man charged in rape of 12-year-old girl

A Minneapolis man, Harold T. Davis, who allegedly raped a 12-year-old girl in June, was charged Thursday with first-degree criminal sexual conduct, according to the Star Tribune.

The story referred to multiple public documents including Hennepin County court documents, Davis’s records, and Hennepin County jail records.

Based on Davis’s past records, found in the Hennepin County government center, the Star Tribune was correct that Davis has had a previous conviction for first-degree assault. That charge was filed in June of 1999. Davis has also been charged with possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle (April of 1999) and fleeing a peace officer by a means other than a motor vehicle (August of this year).

The ICR showed that the 12-year-old girl did tell the police that she had been raped, as the story said, but did not give much more information.

The Star Tribune also wrote that Davis’s bail was set at $150,000, which also checks out with the Register of Actions for this case.

Based on the information that I was able to find, the story did seem fair. It was difficult to get the actual case information, as the various departments sent me to other buildings that did not actually contain the file. I would have been able to tell if the story would need to be more comprehensive if I could have found the report, but the story was very accurate with the information that it printed from the public documents.