Design Internship

I got this in my inbox today:

Initio Advertising

We are looking for a top performer to fill our paid internship position. The candidate will work on a diverse set of projects from print to web to environmental design. Previous experience and knowledge on projects of these types will be a plus, but not a requirement. Essentials for this position are a strong creative problem solving process and work ethic paired with the ability follow creative direction. Experience in the following applications: Quark or InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator are a must.

Below is some contact info:

Randy Pierce
randy@initioadvertising.com
612 339 7195

Initio Advertising
http://www.initioadvertising.com/
212 3rd Ave N, Suite 510
Minneapolis, MN 55401

no office hours today

I will be over at Rapson helping to prep our "final" event tonight.

If you have uncompleted OR missing work tonight is the last day to turn things in. Please bring your stuff to Rapson hall. If you want your projects back we will need to discuss a time to set up a pick up off campus after my grades are submitted...otherwise I will just hold on to projects til next semester.
See you there.

Grant

Summer Gig

I received this last week from Kraig Larson at Ciceron:

Hi all,

It’s favor time. I’m looking to help fill a entry-level designer job out at Jostens in Edina. It’s a contract job, 40 hour a week for the 3 months. They are building out a new web site, and are looking for help in translating Photoshop docs to HTML & CSS, plus production of supporting graphics. So Photoshop and HTML skills are a must, plus some knowledge or at least appreciation of SEO. Jostens is a great local company selling to and supporting high schools and higher ed, and there are lots of cool and talented people working out there, including a couple of close friends of mine.

If anybody comes to mind, please let me know, and I can forward on the contact information.

Thanks,
Kraig
___________________________
Kraig Larson
Founding Partner and Chief Creative Officer
Ciceron - Web Marketing. Measurable Results.
http://www.ciceron.com
Phone: (612) 204-1919, ext 15

Web Development Intern

Colle+McVoy is seeking exceptional individuals who are interested in gaining hands-on experience in working with some of the best in the industry on some of the most exciting projects available. We’re looking for someone who is innovative, resourceful, and adventurous, with an enterprising spirit and an excitement for new media.

See the JOBS section of cm.com for all the nitty gritty:
http://www.collemcvoy.com

Our Last Day

Everyone,

Tuesday May 8th is our last day of class and its a big one. As you know I have been contacting designers and working with Kim from the Learning Enrichment office to set up the Second Annual 4355 Portfolio Review night. This is your "final". As part of your Portfolio (30pts) I will be walking the room taking notes over your shoulders as you present books. Be prepared to show and talk about your projects in detail, what type of job you might look for, what you struggle with as a designer this senior year and other informational interview type questions. This group of professionals is volunteering presious time to meet with you so please give them some respect that and come ready to sell yourself. These will be short twenty minute interviews and the plan is to have you sign up for 3 sessions during a 2 hour period. You may the opportunity for a 4th session if time permits. Last year this was a huge success and I am hoping for similar results. Please take this serious, but have some fun too. I understand some of you might be a bit nervous... don't be. They will understand that you are just getting out of school and will continue to work on your Portfolios for years to come. This is your opportunity to get some great advice. As the "teacher" it was not my duty to look at every detail of every project in your book and "get you detailed feedback". I tried to help some, when you asked and when we had time... but the designers coming in will tell it like it is. I am really looking forward to this night because I am proud of the work you guys have accomplished this semester and you should be too.

Event Details:
Tuesday May 8th
Sign In at Rapson Hall (east bank CDES building) 6 - 6:30pm (I know our final time is 6:30)

Sessions from 6:30 to 8:30 or so.
Close and mingle 8:30 - 9pm

Best,

Grant

Ex3 Due PLUS...

If some of you feel like you have a portfolio in progress with mounted work in a case...please feel free to bring it to class this week to show others and get feedback. Our class will be a working class time after you sign in. I expect you to be working up in the lab on your boards and/or revisions to previous work OR planning to leave to work on things at home...or buying supplies OR whatever...but I do expect everyone to bring in a "in progress" portfolio Tuesday May 1st (if you do not bring one this week). We will place them out on tables for your classmates to see and comment on. You will have one week to revise(if you choose to do so) based on those comments for our class portfolio one one one event Tuesday May 8th.

I hope all of you are well,
See you Tuesday,

Grant

Job Opp

Associate Web Designer Position at Capella University. If you are interested in learning more about interactive this would be a great place to kick for a year or 2. As a former employee I only have good things to say about my time spent with this interactive team!

Detail Below:

http://www.capella.edu/careers/jobs/assoc_web_designer.aspx

Firm Tour Crawl

Friday April 27th 2007

I am helping host an all day Firm Crawl of some great places downtown...
I will have hand outs at class, but this is the nitty gritty.

Aesthetic Apparatus
Little & Company
Hunt Adkins
Popular Front

Check class handout for details..

Poster Show This Weekend

Are you still looking for an event to write about? Check this out...it should be very cool.

DETAILS:
artcrankpostershow.com

best,

Grant

AIGA Portfolio One on One

Portfolio 1-on-1 review sessions will take place on Saturday, April 14th at Solera as far as I know.

Wow. If you guys can get your boards ready you should go to this for sure!! I can not stress how much I think you should all go...regardless of cost and timing with class. Wrap it up, get it in a box...and GO!

Check with AIGA for details. (call them because no details are posted?)

portfolio_one-on-one

NO Class Next Week

4355,

I just talked with Hilary Davis our guest speaker for next week and because we both have conflicts on the 3rd we are going to reschedule her guest appearance to Tuesday April 10th. I know you all are working hard on projects and revisions to your other design work for your portfolio… please continue the great work on the senior show as well. I have a personal conflict that has come up and I will not be able to make it next week. That said, class attendance for next week at McNeal is absolutely voluntary.

I apologize and thank you for be flexible with all the adjustments this semester.
Please continue with Project 3 and revisions to your other work. See you all April 10th.

Grant Eull

Periscope Tour Tonight

This is a reminder that we have a tour of Periscope tonight. Please arrive at 6:30pm.
My cell # is 612 703 8572, please call if you are running late or not able to make it for some reason.

See you later,

Grant

PERISCOPE ®
921 Washington Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55415 USA

Main (612) 399-0500
periscope.com

Class Tour of Periscope

PERISCOPE ®
921 Washington Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55415 USA

Main (612) 399-0500
periscope.com

Quan Hoang
Associate Creative Director, Interactive and New Media

Tom Flint

Justin Pierce
Interactive Designer

Christopher Taylor
Producer

Class Schedual Changes

I understand we have some confusion about when P2 and 3 are due. They are due on the 17th. Remember we will no be meeting next week and Hilary will visit on the 10th. Have a good week.

4/03 No Class / Work on your own

4/10 Guest Speaker designer Hilary Davis

4/17 Projects 2, 3 DUE / Progress check IN/work in class

4/ 24 Exercises 2, 4 DUE / Progress check IN/work in class

5/ 01 Exercise 3 DUE / Progress check IN/work in class

5 / 08 4355 Portfolio 1 on 1 Event (finals week)
Any updates to Class Projects or Exercises should be handed in at this time.

Senior Show 2007 Timetable

Senior Show 2007

Timetable: Tuesday 2/12: Start brainstorming about ideas/theme/concept/name for the 2007 DHA Senior show. Everyone can volunteer for one or more "committees" that will be responsible for aspects of the exhibition. Here are some examples of committees:

• Exhibition concept theme planning
• Budget/fund-raising/awards (this will entail developing a budget, thinking about additional funds needed, and also soliciting awards from local design firms)
• Invitation/poster design
• Exhibition design
• DHA Senior Show yearbook? Publication?
• Exhibition installation/deinstallation
• Exhibition reception/party
• Off-campus location
• Publicity
• Web site
• Coordinating with other DHA programs

Tuesday 2/13:
Everyone should brainstorm ideas for the theme/invitation/poster, and make decisions about the design direction of these.

Tuesday 2/20:
Make final decision about naming the show, and whether or not there will be an additional Graphic Design Seniors off-campus show.

Tuesday 3/6:
Another brainstorming session about the design of the show: final decision made about invitation design (what will the design concept be, what will it look like, will it be a screeenprint or sent to a printer?): someone does the design

Thurs 3/15:
Send out call for work to all gradating seniors (GD, Clothing Design, Housing, and Interior Design)--up to 8 pieces each (?) Tuesday 3/20: Invitation design sent to printer—order placed (http://www.4by6.com?)

Wed 3/21:
Order vinyl lettering (from Barbara Porwitt—Goldstein Museum)

Friday 3/30:
Invitations received from printer and distributed to seniors

Monday 4/2:
Order catering for closing reception (reception committee)

Friday 4/6:
Send label info emailed to JBB? (jboydbre@umn.edu ---JBB can format and print labels?)

Tuesday 4/3:
Prepare exhibition space at Rapson Hall —patch up walls, assemble any walls as needed

Wed 4/4:
Paint exhibition space Thurs 4/5: Paint exhibition space

Monday 4/9:
Delivery of work to exhibition space and install (Senior Show and directed study students do this)

Tuesday 4/10:

Wed 4/11:
Computers arrive from Apple: install multimedia work

Thurs 4/12:
Installation continued, and labeling (Senior Show and directed study students do this)

Friday 4/13:
Labels—and final adjustments (Senior Show and directed study students do this)

Sat 4/14:
Lighting in exhibition space —vacuuming and cleaning (Senior Show and directed study students do this)

Mon 4/30:
Exhibition opens

Sat 5/12:
Closing reception, 3pm to 5 pm

Sat 5/12:
after 5:30 pm: Seniors de-install exhibition and remove work

Sunday 5/13: 9:00 am: S
eniors de-install exhibition and remove work from gallery

Things to do for Senior Show committees:
design:
design of invitation/poster, etc.
design of vinyl lettering
design and concept of exhibition—layout
design of labels (JBB can coordinate label info)
budget:
vinyl lettering (approx. $175)
invitations (http://www.4by6.com is a good source--approx. $300)
reception ($300?)
installation costs (approx. $200)
invitation mailing (approx. $250)
installation:
how many vitrines?
mannequins?
how are things to be hung?
what supplies do we need?
publicity:
press release (information to Jim Dozier, Rapson Hall)
University and other PR
Senior Show faculty contact: James Boyd-Brent jboydbre@umn.edu