Drawings

Download file

Zhang Xiaogang

I feel like Zhang Xiaogang is making a big statement with his paintings. They are all very depressing to me because it calls the world out on its tendency to push people toward conformity. All of the characters he creates are monotonous and as simple as possible. There is little use of color and all of their facial expressions are sad. The combination of these effects is extremely effective in portraying emotion and even cause the audience to become saddened themselves. The paintings definitely take each element of society that the artist does not like and amplifies it into a tidal wave of hatred. It is hard to not feel the way the artist wants you to feel when you look at them.

Sarah Gilbertson

Self Portrait

View image

Minneapolis Institute of Art response

Sarah Gilbertson

I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art and looked at all the different paintings, sculptures, and other pieces of art. In the sculpture area I found a carving out grey limestone that stood out to me. It was called Lintel Arch From a Vishnu Temple. I really liked the use of details within the piece. There were 26 individual people carved into this piece of wood that was arch shaped. It was a mirror image on both sides, so there were only 13 unique characters, but they even had designs on their clothing. I thought it was especially impressive because it was small. It was only a few feet long, but completely filled with information.
Another piece of art that I was drawn to was a stone coffin. It was called the Sarcophagus of Prince Cheng Ching (Yuan Mi). This piece of art was not only beautiful, but also useful. It was originally made not as art, but as a coffin for a prince. I thought it was interesting that art is not always made to be art. On every external surface of the casket there were intricate carvings of landscapes. It was completely covered; there was probably not a full square inch without any carvings on it. This was amazing to me since it was about 7 feet long and 4 feet wide. I enjoyed this experience and it had much different art than that at the Weisman Art Museum. The art here seemed to be more ancient and based on different cultures.

Katherine Nash Art Gallery

At the Katherine E. Nash art gallery there was one piece that stood out to me. It was called My Name was 133909 and I Sang and from the title one can see that the inspiration was a labor camp prisoner who tattled on another, in order to survive another day. I really liked the artist’s use of different mediums and materials to compose the piece. There were mirrors, chunks of metal, arcrylic, paint, and many other random objects. All of these together produced a very interesting visual and it easily caught my eye. I especially liked that it made the viewer think about why the artist chose to include each of the components.
~Sarah Gilbertson

LOVE animation

Standing Woman

View image

Animal Playground

View image

Football Baby

View image

Clockwork

View image

Boiling Water Woman

View image

A Day in the Life of... Jacob Johnson

Media Mill Video

Abstract Expressionism

Abstract expressionism has its emphasis on spontaneous, automatic or subconscious creation. It is a school of painting that flourished after World War II until the early 1960s, characterized by the view that art is nonrepresentational and chiefly improvisational. One example of abstract expressionist artist is Jackson Pollock.

Continue reading "Abstract Expressionism" »

Francis Bacon

Although Bacon never attended art school, he began to draw and work in watercolor. Upon his return to London in 1929, he established himself as a furniture designer and interior designer.

Quarter Gallery

There was a pair of paintings titled the Pinwheel Series by Drew Peterson that stood out to me. They were screen printed on paper. The artist used a combination of numerous colors and designs that created an overwhelming emotion. I felt like the painting created a cacophony of music, but somehow all the sounds came together and were beautiful rather than ugly. I really liked the details in the images and how it was complex in the center, but toward the edges it was less full of pictures.
Another piece of art that I liked was an oil on wood set by Jamie Winter Dawson. There were two that especially stood out. One had a dark red background and had blue streaks on top. There was a lot of texture in the paint and the wood gave it depth as well. The other piece by her was similar but instead of looking natural like the first one, it was bright green with blue blotted around on it. I thought the differences between them made her varying style stand out since the first painting used more color variations than the other and less bold colors as well.