« Katherine Nash Art Gallery | Main | Self Portrait »

Minneapolis Institute of Art response

Sarah Gilbertson

I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art and looked at all the different paintings, sculptures, and other pieces of art. In the sculpture area I found a carving out grey limestone that stood out to me. It was called Lintel Arch From a Vishnu Temple. I really liked the use of details within the piece. There were 26 individual people carved into this piece of wood that was arch shaped. It was a mirror image on both sides, so there were only 13 unique characters, but they even had designs on their clothing. I thought it was especially impressive because it was small. It was only a few feet long, but completely filled with information.
Another piece of art that I was drawn to was a stone coffin. It was called the Sarcophagus of Prince Cheng Ching (Yuan Mi). This piece of art was not only beautiful, but also useful. It was originally made not as art, but as a coffin for a prince. I thought it was interesting that art is not always made to be art. On every external surface of the casket there were intricate carvings of landscapes. It was completely covered; there was probably not a full square inch without any carvings on it. This was amazing to me since it was about 7 feet long and 4 feet wide. I enjoyed this experience and it had much different art than that at the Weisman Art Museum. The art here seemed to be more ancient and based on different cultures.