leaping across the fiscal cliff

http://fedconnects.com/index.php/2012/12/innovative-it-solutions-can-save-money-for-government-and-reduce-the-federal-deficit/

I found this article interesting because I am also a political science major. But I found myself thinking about evaluative research because it runs into the same problem as the fiscal cliff: expense. Research is super expensive. And the research community is dealing with this through technology, how to stream line the process, and make it cheaper. Also with technology, they are making research as close to as effective as expensive, time consuming person-to-person research.

Social Commerce

The first story line in the article is social commerce. Social commerce is interesting because it is an entirely new way to market to people, and advertising looks different on websites like facebook, pintrest and twitter. It is much more about connecting with individuals and promoting comversations.

From a research stand point, social commerce is an excellent tool. You are able to monitor who sees your posts, when they are seen, and can even determine why posts are being seen. All of this can be done either cheaply or for free as well.

Incentives

Is research really being helped by incentives? I know it helps get responce rates up, but I thing getting something in return for taking a survey makes people less willing to say negaitve things. This is not helpful. THis blog sums it up well.

http://survey.cvent.com/blog/customer-insights-2/do-incentives-matter

Researching market research

market-research.alltop.com

All top is a site that has news stories about current market research. It is a place to see trends in research, innovations, and how research differs for different products and brands. For a research professional, this is a site that help you keep current with trends that companies may want to utilize, or see what new techniques work or don't. It is a way to keep your research on the cutting edge.

Consumers Lie?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12581446

This is an article about innovations in market research, looking for tracking how people act, not just what they say. It seems that this is the next place research is going. We see eye trackers for where people look at websites already.

More and more research is moving to studying people's actions not just their thoughts. Companies even go so far to build store sets for brand research, to see how consumers act in the store.

Qualitative vs. Quantitative

We have talked a lot in this course about quantitative v. quantitative research. Which is better? When do we use which?

For me, I like qualitative better. I like to hear why people like a brand or product, why it is special to them. I think qualitative research helps a company become more personal to their publics.

I realize that qualitative research is hard to generalize, and is not perfect for everything, but I think it does have a lot of value.

I think qualitative v.s. quantitative shows a difference between PR and advertising. Advertising research has a specific focus- to sell something. PR is more about getting people to think positively about a brand, it is about getting the feeling you can only find through qualitative research.

Target GLBT ad

target gay marriage ad.jpg

This is an add for Target's wedding catalog. It is one of the first pro GLBT ads from a major department store.

This ad came out during the marriage amendment debate in Minnesota before the election in November. During this time Target came out for the "vote no" movement. Beside this act, they sold shirts with rainbows on them, a common GLBT symbol. Target is based out of Minneapolis. Through research, Target knows a decent amount of their costumers are part of or support the GLBT community.

The wedding ad is not the first time Target has gotten involved in politics. In 2010, the company supported a candidate that was not in support of the GLBT community. People were extremely vocal about their displeasure of Target's political support.

I believe part of the reason Target came out so supportive of the Vote No campaign is because of the media crisis in 2010. There was a decent amount of backlash for Target in 2010. The wedding ad had more of a goal than promoting registering at Target. The ad was meant to show Target;s support of the GLBT community, a community that makes up a good amount of "guests" at the department stores. I think part of the reason for the ad was to make sure to negative press from 2010 would not come back to haunt the company,

I think the ad was successful, In a buzzfeed blog, the ad was named as one of the 60 best things for the GLBT community. No one is talking about the incident in 2010 anymore and the general view of Target is positive.

Samplify by Peanut Labs

samplify.it

Samplify is an online sight that offers a pool of people to create a sample for surveys.

According to the article linked below, going through a company like peanut labs usually takes a lot of time and money. Samplify is more of a "do it yourself" sampling.

This is similar to the sights we talked about during the survey modules, groups of people prepared to participate in surveys. Also, it reminded me of the online focus groups we looked at. It seems like the internet is making research cheaper, easier and less time consuming.

I do have some reservations about having a group of people willing to take surveys when ever. Are they being paid for being in this pool? Will being this willing to take any surveys affect how they answer the questions?

Guest Speaker in JOUR 5501: Public Opinion

In public opinion, we had a a guest speaker who is the head of social media for Target. He spoke about how he is working on getting the Target Pintrest page more reach. They are working with an individual who has millions of followers. She is repinning Target pins to get more followers.

This reminded me of the pull opinion leaders have. He said they are now getting hundreds of hits a day to the pintrest page, all because of one person. It reminded me of the differences between PR and advertising research lecture we had today. PR cares about the reach the woman at pintrest has because the a successful PR campaign tends to focus on increasing knowledge of the brand, and increasing "good vibes" surrounding the brand.

Housing and Residential Life Survey

I took a survey for housing and residential life (HRL). It was an evaluative survey about the housing facilities, staff and dining halls. I found it to be a well written survey, There were many Likert scales. Also, the order of the questions were well done. There were clear sections for housing staff, activities HRL offers, and how satisfied we were with the facilities. The questions were clear and concise. I can see how the information will be used when planning for next year, and how the data collected from this survey can be coded and generalized. With this survey and the way it was written, I can see how it will have high external validity.