« Holler. | Main | Girls Gone Wild »

Basic Instinct

I was really unhappy about the portrayal of lesbians and bisexuals in this film. One thing that I did not like in particular was how Catherine just threw herself at Nick at the end. It was as if she thought, well the woman I was with is dead so I guess I 'll play the desperate lady now to this big strong man. Then I read this on www.imdb.com, "Problems reoccurred later when Eszterhas wanted to make more changes to appease the gay and lesbian communities. Verhoeven point blank refused to incorporate these changes". It seems that the director Paul Verhoeven just wanted to make a film that would bring in the money. Perhaps it isn't that he dislikes lesbians, but maybe the guy is just plain ignorant. That made me not feel so mad anymore but just sad for him. I feel that he portrayed Roxy as sort of crazy and desperate and Catherine as a bitch and a whore. Maybe if he had developed these characters a little more it would have helped his reputation. I thought the character that Michael Douglas played was absolutely disgusting. Are we supposed to identify with him or feel bad for him? He is a rapist, a murderer, and a chauvinistic pig. I left the film believing that he was the actual monster.

Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Wonderful. I'm also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.