« bell hooks | Main | bell hooks »

Big Picture

In her film, "Cultural Criticism and Transformation" bell hooks addresses and analyzes representations of different cultures, colors, and sexes in film and popular culture. This has been done before by many academics, however, hooks puts it in an entirely new perspective by naming the root of the issue: white supremacist capitalist patriarchy. By discussing the background and meaning of white supremacist capitalist patriarchy, hooks teaches us to try and find the bigger picture so that we may put things in perspective. This can mean asking questions like, who wrote and directed a certain film - was it a man or a woman? black or white? straight or gay?, or why do some rappers use extreme violence and sex in their music - who is their audience? The example of misogyny and violence in gansta rap is one that is constantly discussed. hooks explains in her essay, Sexism and Misogyny: Who Takes the Rap?, "The sexist, misogynist, patriarchal ways of thinking and behaving that are glorified in gangsta rap are a reflection of the prevailing values in our society, values created and sustained by white supremacist capitalist patriarchy." She makes an important point: that a "critique must always be contextualized." I think that this statement applies to films and pop culture as well as gangsta rap.

I agreed with what was said about the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy, and now that we are aware, we should be vigilant in putting things in a better perspectives.

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.