« Bell Hooks | Main | White Supremacist Capatalist Patriarchy »

Feed the Fire

Bell Hooks had a heck of a lot to say about watching films with a critical, feminist eye! Not only was she completely clear and concise in her analysis of the media and movies that were addressed but she let no injustice go without saying. The techniques she employed in bringing out the multiple "isms" (racism, sexism, chauvinism, etc.) were not so mechanistic to be easily described but more of an abstract, feminist lens through which she viewed not only films but the world. The terms capitalism and white supremacy were two terms she used in her discussion of the what she believed to be the root causes of the "isms" within the films. She is addressing the big picture issues by using these terms and not poking around at the "symptoms" of the larger problems that are taking place within our society. Capitalism is the driving force of our economy and to make the money one has to cater to the people in power,..hence white supremacy. In other words, in order to make money in the move industry one must work within the discourses already set up. Her quote " there isn't any money on the left" says it all.

Her film has really done nothing but feed my already raging fire. I have been aware that everything we are fed by any form of media is a means to keep the democratic patriots at work and "happy". As well as keeping the capitalist sate which we live in in proper order. Because of her film I have more tools to pull out the "isms" being employed.

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!