« Intro Post | Main | watch watch watch watch watch watch watch watch »

Min's Blog

After watching Hook's movie the biggest element that stood out for me about watching movies critically is knowing everything that is going on screen and how things are being represented. What I mean by that is, there are certain things that we have been trained to understand by movies, music, television, and other mediums to almost assume certain stereotypes. We are trained to automatically understand that blacks are dangerous, that women are sexual objects to men, that white people are middle class, upper class, or maybe nerdy. And because we are trained to understand "roles" this way, a movie with a robbery does not work as well if an African-American is not the person committing the robbery. I think Hook is trying to let us know that these could be forms of racism and sexism but we are passive when we see them in movies because we are so used to it. By brining this issue of being able to think critically about movies into the open, we can now begin to look at things not as popular culture wants us to view it, but rather we can engage in our viewings and see items from a different perspective. She does not want us to be empty, helpless shells absorbing images and messages, but human beings that are able to choose and filter what we

are being presented.
I do not think because of this video that I will watch movies here after much differently. I understand that popular culture has these views. Does that make these views right? No, I do not think so, but there is not a whole lot I can do about it. But at the same time I think it is sometimes okay to use some of these stereotypes because it makes viewing easier to understand and sometimes it can add a comedic value. I personally hate it when parents say that violent video games are affecting a child's mind and warping a child into a violent creature. Well, hate is too strong of a word. I do not hate it but I can not fully agree. I played violent video games at a young age and my Mother worried slightly, but I could tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Now I understand not all children can differentiate and that we might need to protect some children from the things Hook is talking about. I am a person that likes to joke around a poke fun at popular culture from time to time. When my friends and I joke around, nothing really is taboo. I have made jokes about blacks, whites, Asians, men, women, but it does not mean I believe in those stereotypes. I also understand that I would never use these jokes outside of my group of friends because they may offend people. I guess that's where the issue comes up because the mass media and popular culture are presenting these items whereas I am in the basement with my friends. I can agree and I am glad hook brings up these issues, but I also worry that if we look at things too critically, we start picking at little things and blow things out of proportion. A friend of mine made me listen to a new rap album recently and I told my friends that no one pimps that many hoes and is high all the time and carries guns with them all the time. The scary thing about rap is that it is a serious presentation and it might be difficult for young children to differentiate since many rappers claim that their music is an extension of their reality. I think that's what Hook want us to be able to do is differentiate fantasy and reality.

I agree that it would be pretty impractical to say that a person is going to change their whole mode of taking in media just because of this film, but I do think that, subtly, overtime if a person comes in contact with enough media in critique of mass media that person will change their methods of viewing. Your point that rappers who project their "image" as their true self confuse children was right on the mark.

I totally agree how we are all brainwashed to understand things how the media make it to be. I can see how you think that using these sterotypes in movies are ok sometimes but I do believe that it is moraly wrong and degrading. Sure some women want to be known as a sexual item but most do not and should not always be shown like that. This was a great blog! Thanks.