« hey hey | Main | Howdy! »

White Supremacist Capitalist Patriarchy

White Supremacist Capitalist Patriarchy - is often used phrase from bell hooks . The way I understand it, is that present dominant system in the US is is based on multiple forms political, economic, social etc hierarchies and oppressions. White supremacy, capitalism, and patriarchy remain largely unchallenged despite various advances made by social movements since the 1960s. The term is put into opposition to dominant mainstream definition of the US political system as "liberal democracy."

Here is what she has to say about politics of this term:

"radical feminist critique of patriarchy has practi­cally been silenced in our culture. It has become a subcultural discourse available only to well-educated elites. Even in those circles, using the word "patriarchy" is regarded as passe. Often in my lectures when I use the phrase "imperial­ist white-supremacist capitalist patriarchy" to describe our nation's political system, audiences laugh. No one has ever explained why accurately naming this system is funny. The laughter is itself a weapon of patriarchal terrorism. It func­tions as a disclaimer, discounting the significance of what is being named. It suggests that the words themselves are problematic and not the system they describe. I interpret this laughter as the audience's way of showing discomfort with being asked to ally themselves with an antipatriarchal disobedient critique. This laughter reminds me that if I dare to challenge patriarchy openly, I risk not being taken seriously."

L8L9ac