« Visibility vs. Invisibility | Main | Bound »

Bound

In the movie Bound you go back and forth when it comes to who is more femme and who is more masculine. The sexual geometrics and features of the films metonymically reconstitute Corky as the reiterative figure of masculinity in the narrative. You witness her masculinity by her gaze, tattoos, men's underwear, undershirts, boots, pants, etc. But, Corky is also marked as female by the camera when she is making love with Violet. Femme's desire for female masculinity, evidenced by Violet's ability to read and desire Corky as both female and masculine, both reorients female masculinity as a productive contradiction between a female inscribed body and a masculine gender performance, but also as the privileged site of masculinity in the film (Noble 3). With the sex scene that does take place in the movie, I do think this is a feminist scene.

In this scene I feel that it shows through Violet being able to pleasure Corky that women equal to those of men. I also think this scene is a feminist as well because Violet has finally somewhat escaped from her relationship with her husband Caesar after a long five years of a bad relationship. In this scene you may recall the music that was being played in the background to enable this metonymic slippage: Aretha Franklin sings "I never loved a man the way that I love you". Sedgwick also suggests that same-sex desire has been understood as an impulse of gender liminality or transitivity, where the appropriate gender crossings produced (Noble 3).