« Bound | Main | Bound and feminist sex scene »

Bound #1

I completely believe that every part of bound is part of a feminist film. The sex scene is offers us something that most other lesbian sex scenes do not: reality. While the characters in this film are often displayed in stereotypical fashion (butch and femme) they often break out of those roles. This is apparent in Corky and Violet's sex scene. Violet is seen as the aggressor and Corky is the one being pleasured. Kelly Kessler says it best when she writes, "In the bedroom scene, it is Violet who is on top and controlling the sex while Corky is the passive receiver." Most people who buy into making overall assumptions of others would not expect this placement. Because Corky is the more "masculine" character they would expect her to take on a typical movie male role. But in this sex scene she is seen for what she is- a woman. They are both women and they both are sexual beings. Male and female "roles" have no part in their sex life. This is what makes the scene believable. While many people can fit into stereotypes they also have more moments where they go against said stereotypes. This film helps acknowledge this.

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I'm hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.