« Bound's sex scene | Main | Bound »

The Sex Scene within Bound

Looking at the sex scene within Bound I believe overall that it was very pro-feminist. The fact that the directors turned Susie Bright I think shows that they were serious about making this scene as realistic that as they could. In this scene the audience sees the femme taking charge and being the more aggressive female even though stereotypically one would assume it would be the butch who would be making the sexual advances. Even the positioning put Violet, the femme, “on top� is a very “masculine� role/position. Had the position of the two changed it would have looked as a “typical� heterosexual couple with the “man� on top and the woman on the bottom. That characteristics of the two where fairly prominent with Violets perfectly manicured nails and Corky’s “masculine� looking tattoos which adorned her body, yet this is thrown when the camera finally moves up the body to show their chests.

Not only do they have gender signifiers and the various stereotypical roles challenged but it also leaves one main component out that is often seen in so many lesbian scenes within film, and that is a male participant. This is one of the reasons that make this scene so different from every other movie with a lesbian sex scene. In Kessler’s Bound Together she states that, “This scene presents a type of lesbian sexuality that is not often shown in heterosexual films: lesbian sex without the need of any phallic object� (16). The only people in this scene are the two women, they also are not using any type of dildo or anything that simulates a penis, and there is no presence of a male there whatsoever.

Overall I found this scene to be feminist. The directors seemed to genuinely want a realistic lesbian love scene. I think that having the consultant helped as well not only did it make it more realistic but I think that having someone come in to consult also made it more reputable. This scene mixes the stereotypes of both male, female roles, and butch femme and question what we consider normal and not normal within ones role in relationships.