The Birdcage

I completely agree that the relationship portrayed between Armand and Albert in The Birdcage was very indicative of heterosexual stereotypical relationships. Some characteristics of Albert are undeniably "feminine": manner of walking, emotional variations, dramatic expressions, etc. Armand is still depicted as queer, however in a much more masculine fashion: he has facial hair, chest hair, runs the club, among others. The piece that I thought was clearly an example of heterosexual relationship roles was when Armand was coaching Albert how to be manly. He was obviously more knowing than Albert and was often times demeaning during those scenes. The only time that I caught a slight shift from the binary of masculine/feminine was when the two were talking about baseball and Armand admitted to not knowing about some aspect of the seemingly "masculine" pastime.
The Birdcage didn't break down many expectations of a heteronormative society with regards to gender roles. I found it very interesting that after reading "Queer Kids of Queer Parents Against Gay Marriage!" to think of Armand's son Val was advocating for the assimilation of his queer upbringing into a more "normal" heterosexual facade.

I agree that even though both Albert and Armand are gay, they have different ways of portraying. While Albert is clearly gay since he dresses in drag and acts the way he does, Armand is not as obvious as being a clearly gay man. I agree that he has tendencies, such as the baseball situation, that show he is not exactly a straight man, even though knowing baseball rules doesn’t mean you are a straight person.

I also think it's interesting that Armand's son Val wished to live a more "normal" heterosexual life. I like to think that children of gay parents are the most enlightened and open minded of them all. I want to believe that even if the society surrounding the child preaches for heterosexuality, the child is not convinced, because they love and admire their parental figure and know that what they are doing is not wrong or incorrect. It is very sad and disappointing that this is not always the case. I suppose this could be linked to the fact that Armand portrayed the masculine role in his relationship with Albert, and because he represented the heterosexual dynamic, his son could not understand why he would want to be in a relationship with another man. If this male/female dynamic disappears from relationships over time, hopefully children will begin to see beyond the black and white rules defined by society.

And this is one of my problems. I understand that in families of GLBT parents that there may in fact be children that they wish for heterosexual parents sometimes, it would be naive to say otherwise. However the movie itself was very hurtful in the way the son literally erased a member of his family in order to appease a "Conservative Politician" father in law. It literally ruined the entire movie for me. The son and what he was asking his family to do for him was beyond anything I could even think of.

And this is one of my problems. I will state I am gay to save any very negative connotations to my statements. But even though I can understand that in families of GLBT parents that there may in fact be children that they wish for heterosexual parents sometimes, it would be naive to say otherwise; however, the movie itself was very hurtful in the way the son literally erased a member of his family in order to appease a "Conservative Politician" father in law. It literally ruined the entire movie for me. The son and what he was asking his family to do for him was beyond anything I could even comprehend.