Brokeback New Queer Cinema

When reading Mancuso's article I liked seeing the distinctions between this queer movie and heteronormative movies. One of the reasons why I think I liked this film so much is because it's so different from what I was used to seeing. Thus, making it hard to predict. I never thought that one would have died, especially Jack. This is without a doubt the best queer film I've seen in this class. It wasn't based on stereotypes, excessiveness or cruel jokes to get the point across - instead it was serious and portrayed a realistic homosexual relationship for that time period. One of the main distinctions between Brokeback mountain and heteronormative movies is how the relationship is played out. It seems to me that in most heteronormative movies where the main character is somewhat of an outcast than she/he will be ostracized throughout the film and then eventually pulled back in and accepted by their friends and family. In this film, we can see clearly at the end after Jack dies that his main relationships have ended roughly. When Ennis is on the phone with Hathaway you can tell that Jack's relationship with her has been severed. When Ennis goes to visit Jack's parents you can tell that their relationship is incredibly strained as well. Also, if you can recall Ennis's last visit with his wife, it ended up pretty bad. The only relationship that was salvaged was Ennis and his eldest daughter. I like that I wasn't able to predict the outcome of this film, to me that brings across a bigger message.

I also enjoyed how Mancuso's article distinguished Brokeback Mountain from a heteronormative movie, because I didn't feel like Jack and Ennis really cared about their heteronormative relationships, they cared about their rendezvous on Brokeback Mountain. Ennis pays little attention to his children or the needs of his wife, because he is focused on Jack. I especially felt this tension when Alma tearily tells him about how the family loves fish and he never brought them home any fish (because he never even went fishing).

I also felt that Jack and Lureen's relationship was completely just for show. She was concerned with business, he was concerned with Ennis, and both just used each other to appear normal. This is not representative of a homonomative relationship.

I like your point about the unpredictability of the movie. I also never expected the ending and the ending certainly didn't conform to what a heteronormative audience might like.

Great points. I hadn't picked up on some of the differeneces between queer and heteronormative films. It was interesting that you pointed out that in most heteronormative love films, most people's ending relationships are happy and good, not sad and strained like Ennis and Jack's. However, this could be because most straight love films are meant to have a happy ending, like romantic comedies. There are few sad endings in general for those movies. Occassionally, however, there are sad love stories, like Titanic, etc. Over all, however, I think this film is a good representation of queer films because even when the characters were alive or able to be together, they faced such hardships and discrimination to make it work it really was tragic.

I like the different view. it is so true that most movies like this end on good terms. it is rare if you see everyone ending in a bad place. I didnt think of it this way. so true. Also, I like how you pointed out the ending of the movie. The movie was so real that it made me feel empathy for all of the characters. The ending being different from the norm contributed to this.