Queer Cinema

For me, By Hook or By Crook is one if the top movies I've seen in this class just because the main characters didn't seem to be based upon stereotypes. Their sexuality didn't interfere with the plot of the film and the plot wasn't based on their sexualities. Although I think the movie itself was underdeveloped in some ways, such as their petty crime schemes and each of their romantic interests I still thought the movie got a good point across. I've found that the movies I've liked best that we've watched were the ones that were not too excessive or based on stereotypes. I think my favorite film was Brokeback Mountain, but I wish the ending would have been a bit different and more of a happily ever after type ending. Just because we haven't seen too many of those types in our class. I think the next step in queer filmmaking should simply be a higher quality and quantity of them. I'd like to go to a movie theater and have the option to see at least two or three queer films instead of one or none like it is today. I think the more prominent queer films are, the quicker society will be to accept them as apart of everyday life.

I agree with you that By Hook or By Crook is in an exclusive category from the other films, but I think it may be a bit of an overstatement to say that the characters are not based on stereotypes. They're built on stereotypes (albeit more modern ones than we're used to seeing represented in the media) so that the audience is more ready to read them as queer when that evidence is presented. I would classify the difference as being that in By Hook or By Crook the stereotypes do not work to build the plot in any way.

I agree. I think queer films should be more accessible. But I think films that heteronormatize queers less and are relatable to straight folks is an only shot at making queer life tolerable to straight folks who aren't already accepting of queer life. Even now a lot of white people don't go to see films that represent Black culture. So I say why worry about making "queer" mainstream. Maybe we have to make it more accessible by searching it out.

I agree with the idea that you can't force queer culture on to people, especially not by making them watch a movie or filling every media outlet with queer media. I think it needs to start at more of a root level, i.e. the way we teach kids in school, the kinds of values that are taught, acceptance that is demonstrated to them, the role models they have. A well rounded, socially responsible, open minded child will grow up and seek out ALL kinds of cinema on their own.

I agree with jack. I do think that flooding the box office with queer films may not be a bad thing, just because it can then allow me to pick from films and tell all my other straight friends to watch them. I dont think that you can force anyone to change how they think, but if you entice them with a heartwrenching story or from a tearjerking scene in a movie, you can possibly change the way they behave.

I agree with your post, but wonder if we could benefit from expanding upon queerness to include sexuality and gender. When watching By Hook or By Crook, I recognized sexuality as being on the periphery, but gender as being more integral to the characters in the film. The two can, and definitely do seem to inform each other in real life, and within the context of the film. That being stated, I believe it is also important to read them as separate, even if they are at times mutually constitutive/informing.

To Kelsey P. I don't disagree with your reading of this film as yet another, albeit more modern, depiction of stereotypes. If you have the time I recommend reading Julia Serrano's book, Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity, as Serrano's essays within her book could give us a broader reading of the depiction of queer masculinities and femininities. On the other token, I wonder if there is a means of depicting queerness within film that does not, to some degree, draw upon stereotypes. I state this largely because not all stereotypes are inaccurate or harmful, to an extent I believe this could be stated of many stereotypes, especially if these are not read as essentializing entire communities/populations of people such that specificity is erased.

I agree that you cant force queer culture on people but need to start at the root level