Queer Cinema

The most important development in the films we have watched over the semester is probably the realness of the characters and plots. Movies like the Birdcage and To Wong Foo are fueled by stereotyping and hegemonic undertones, while others like Female Trouble pushed the envelope too far. Brokeback Mountain and By Hook or By Crook were by far the most realistic portrayals of queers because the films weren't about being queer. They were stories about the relationships between people-- people who happen to be queer.

I agree with your point. I actually never thought about the fact that Brokeback Mountain wasn't necessarily about them being queer, because the plot largely centers around their relationship, which is queer, and which is largely troublesome within the context of the time and area. I still think it was realistic though, and helpful. By Hook or by Crook was definitely only about people and not centered on their queerness, so I think you're spot on with that one.

I see your point, but I'm not sure that you could say Brokeback Mountain was one of the most realistic, solely because I don't know how invested the two lead actors could truly be in the characters they were portraying. While there was certain a lot of realism in the cinematic aspects of the film, as far as being an accurate representation, I'm not sure Brokeback is a solid piece. But By Hook or By Crook certainly would fit the criteria for a film aiming for realism.