« Chapter 5. Rules of the Game | Main | Scott Gu's Blog: ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 Released »

Sizing Up .Net 3.0 Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)

Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML) by Microsoft is a declarative XML-based language used to define objects and their properties, relationships and interactions for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). ...

Personally, my thoughts are, "Microsoft released the .Net 2.0 framework about the same time Web 2.0 was really peaking and they COMPLETELY missed it"... It had to be a major embarrassment for them. Now it looks like they are...

Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML) by Microsoft is a declarative XML-based language used to define objects and their properties, relationships and interactions for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).

XAML is used extensively in the .NET Framework 3.0 technologies, where it is used as a user interface markup language to define UI elements, data binding, event binding, and other features, and in Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), in which workflows themselves can be defined using XAML.

Personally, my thoughts are, "Microsoft released the .Net 2.0 framework about the same time Web 2.0 was really peaking and they COMPLETELY missed it." Naysayers note: implementing call-backs wasn't enough. It had to be a major embarrassment for them. Now it looks like they are on the heals of the latest outmoded technology, XML configuration. While improving productivity, it shoots for but misses the power and productivity enhancements that UI and frameworks folks who are working with dynamic languages are already achieving or on the verge of achieving. Hopefully they are watching and will jump on the trend quickly. With the recent release of the ASP.Net AJAX I'm guessing they are keeping an eye on the moments in the Ruby on Rails space. Most of the people I've talked with have either moved to some vendor like Telerik or Component Art, AJAX.Net (which has this supreamly sweet reflection-to-client-event-automation thing going on), or some home brewed AJAX. I will use the Microsoft AJAX controls in solutions, but they have taken no steps to differentiate themselves or take a leadership role with this offering.