PHOTOS

some last process work

From the first flowers I made to the last, the glue gun took over from the needle and thread and I finally finished up the whole project! I projected my pattern onto the suitcase and used paint pens since the inkjet transfers didn't work. I will put some photos up of the show soon!!

Where DIY meets WTF

I think I am buying this book. Funny and looks like a good time.

WTFETSY.png

LOVE THIS COMMERCIAL.....

I have to add it to my blog.....

more work

I made some more flowers and came up with new ideas---
I want to put the flowers on tacks and put cork board up on the wall so i can just pick where I want to tack the flowers. I also will be putting the pom poms on the floor as my "fortunes" or "warm fuzzies" with the little tags that I will cut with the scalloped scissors I got today. The suitcase is the only thing I do not have supplies for yet and I think I will maybe be able to finish up on that Sunday! its almost done!!!

check it out:
yarn.jpg

fortune.jpg

flowervariety.jpg

loveem.jpg

THE PROCESS

Here it is.....the process I am taking to make the flowers.....more to come:

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

step6.jpg

step7.jpg

step8.jpg

Starting with the suitcase.....

First, I taped off the edges and used a primer to spray paint this old suitcase white. I bought it for $17 at an antiques store in the cities. I started with white so I can paint it any other color I want before I paint on the pattern designs. I am still experimenting with other methods of transferring the image a bit easier...so that will come soon.

suitcase.jpg

suitcase2.jpg

Looking at Installations

I found the most interesting and weird installation artist when I was stumbling online last night.... Funny and Creepy at the same time.
Check it out- Mark Jenkins

I KNOW IT!

I KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO DO!! Finally! It just came to me today.... I was examining all of the inspirational photos that I have been looking at and was thinking about the pattern concept and thinking about how much I also love texture. I have been wanting to work with fabric at some point this year because I love it as a medium and its just great to work with something new once in awhile. Then I came up with the idea....why don't I create a pattern using material that also varys in textures. I am going to use different colors for all of the different materials and I am going to cut, fold, gather and expirament with all the different types of textures that I can make out of the material and organize it all into a wall sized, huge pattern wall. I want to also maybe create a table and chair or something of the furniture sort with this method. I have a lamp that is looking for some attention in my basement and also some old windows that could be jazzed up for a nice bulletin board or something. I am still drawn to function and maybe I could also play with the function of an object vs its aesthetic appeal.
I put together a little mood board of my ideas and have some examples that I made. The color will be bright because I love love color. I love playing with many different colors and I do really enjoy putting together color palettes.
Spring Break is going to be busy!!! And I am actually pumped to start!

Picture 9.png

Picture 8.png

Picture 7.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 33.png

Picture 32.png

Its getting closer

So....my digital focus is this Thursday and since the beginning of this class my ideas have drastically changed, but also stayed somewhat the same. I am still wanting to design my own patterns and I originally wanted to look at doing a furniture or desk set-up but now I don't like that idea anymore. I am now looking at ways to use the patterns I create and incorporating fabric (probably felt) to make some sort of an installation. I am also thinking about paper after having some inspiration from researching artists online.
Deborah Mersky came to UMD a year ago or sometime last year I think and I thought her design was inspiring. She does pattern in her own way with very organic shapes and imagery. When I was thinking about creating a desk, I was looking at her glass installations and at the etching she did. I also love her cut outs....the library panels she did are great. Here is a link to her website where you can check out some of her work...I will also post a few pictures of hers that interest me.

Tord Boontje is also a designer that I found and loved his work. He does installations and collaborates with other companies and designers in many fields such as clothing design and some furniture as well. He does primarily cut out fabric and paper and has beautiful flowery images. He has also done some lighting which is fabulous. I am really excited to find my own way to take my pattern and make it dynamic. Here is a link to his website... I will also post some pictures of his work below.

Deborah:
i3.jpg
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png
Picture 3.png

Tord:
casasugar.png
55_4Lg.jpg
AAAAAnfcG8MAAAAAAMj2Xw.jpg
tord-boontje-rug.jpg