Recently in Digital Focus Category

Looking at Installations

I found the most interesting and weird installation artist when I was stumbling online last night.... Funny and Creepy at the same time.
Check it out- Mark Jenkins

I KNOW IT!

I KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO DO!! Finally! It just came to me today.... I was examining all of the inspirational photos that I have been looking at and was thinking about the pattern concept and thinking about how much I also love texture. I have been wanting to work with fabric at some point this year because I love it as a medium and its just great to work with something new once in awhile. Then I came up with the idea....why don't I create a pattern using material that also varys in textures. I am going to use different colors for all of the different materials and I am going to cut, fold, gather and expirament with all the different types of textures that I can make out of the material and organize it all into a wall sized, huge pattern wall. I want to also maybe create a table and chair or something of the furniture sort with this method. I have a lamp that is looking for some attention in my basement and also some old windows that could be jazzed up for a nice bulletin board or something. I am still drawn to function and maybe I could also play with the function of an object vs its aesthetic appeal.
I put together a little mood board of my ideas and have some examples that I made. The color will be bright because I love love color. I love playing with many different colors and I do really enjoy putting together color palettes.
Spring Break is going to be busy!!! And I am actually pumped to start!

Picture 9.png

Picture 8.png

Picture 7.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 33.png

Picture 32.png

Its getting closer

So....my digital focus is this Thursday and since the beginning of this class my ideas have drastically changed, but also stayed somewhat the same. I am still wanting to design my own patterns and I originally wanted to look at doing a furniture or desk set-up but now I don't like that idea anymore. I am now looking at ways to use the patterns I create and incorporating fabric (probably felt) to make some sort of an installation. I am also thinking about paper after having some inspiration from researching artists online.
Deborah Mersky came to UMD a year ago or sometime last year I think and I thought her design was inspiring. She does pattern in her own way with very organic shapes and imagery. When I was thinking about creating a desk, I was looking at her glass installations and at the etching she did. I also love her cut outs....the library panels she did are great. Here is a link to her website where you can check out some of her work...I will also post a few pictures of hers that interest me.

Tord Boontje is also a designer that I found and loved his work. He does installations and collaborates with other companies and designers in many fields such as clothing design and some furniture as well. He does primarily cut out fabric and paper and has beautiful flowery images. He has also done some lighting which is fabulous. I am really excited to find my own way to take my pattern and make it dynamic. Here is a link to his website... I will also post some pictures of his work below.

Deborah:
i3.jpg
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png
Picture 3.png

Tord:
casasugar.png
55_4Lg.jpg
AAAAAnfcG8MAAAAAAMj2Xw.jpg
tord-boontje-rug.jpg

More Ideas!!

I am getting super excited about this project now because I decided that I am totally focusing on the boutique kitschy style that I love. I also have decided that the body of work is going to be a work space. One thing I struggle with 100% is organization and its always been something that I want to tackle. I also have a passion for interior design that I have never gotten to play with so I plan on combining my graphic style with the interior design of a workspace that I can fully function in and be inspired. I want to focus my design on pattern and repetition so it reminds me to be organized and maybe if its cute all organized then I will try even harder!

Here are some influences I have been looking at.

980012_gre_b.jpg
973254_059_b.jpg963112_030_b.jpg
983042_046_b.jpg
980021_mul_b-2.jpg
anthropologie 3.JPG.jpeg
urbn_offices.jpg
3296588891_3cb399c3cd-1.jpg
3159304601_969d61e2b4.jpg
00060152-578436_400.jpg

Ideas- Digital Art Focus #1

My digital art focus is print media based. Ideally I would like to print and transfer images onto a wood surface. I am inspired by interior design and boutique kitch. I love pattern, mixtures of photographic styles and drawn images. A website I frequent is http://www.illustrationweb.com/ . There are dozens of different artists' work in various styles. I love to look through the site to think of ways that I can create line and texture with flat color and simplicity.
I am going to create some kind of furniture that folds out and is almost like a camouflaged piece of art. It can sit on the floor or be hung on the wall and be folded down to its plain state and be folded out to be functional. I am going to start out with some cardboard cut outs and figure out what kind of design will support the weight of a computer for a desk or a small end table to put drinks, candles, picture frames, etc. on.
I am excited about creating whatever type of collage I want to digitally. I love looking at things with a lot of detail and different styles that make you want to add to the doodles. I also want this to be a large scale piece so I am a bit nervous about how I will make the printing happen. So many ideas!! Its time to start experimenting!

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Digital Focus category.

About ME! is the previous category.

My Avatar is the next category.