Access to the University

Hi, This is Lily Shank, I am a current Global Studies Student, fourth year. I haven't been around the coffee hour too much this year because I've been involved with stopping the complete dismantling of the General College.

General College was a gate for entry to the University of Minnesota for students who didn't meet the numerical standards but have strengths and potential outside measurement (Like me, I was a GC student), a large percentage of students of color, low income students, first generation college students, non-traditional students and students with disabilities enter here.

The University decided to turn the college into a department last year, but now they are cutting the amount of students and years in half, making it nearly ineffective. If we don't stop them now, the whole program will disappear and access to the University will continue to be diminished year after year with hiking tuition, disappearing scholarships and grants, raising of numerical standards, etc.

Only students with a lot of money whose high schools had a lot of money to prepare them for standardized testing will be able to come here. Our global studies department has been a department focused on diversity of views and backgrounds, but the way the University is headed the campus will become more and more homogeneous. When we talk about globalization and people being disadvantaged by institutional power, it happens locally to real people, and it is happening here, now. This is the local site of a global struggle for building a more equal world through access to education.

Please join in a movement for equal access to education on this campus, We will be meeting friday oct 21 at 5:00 in Blegen 150, or e-mail me at sha0195@umn.edu, or check out the GCTM website at www.webegc.org.

at October 19, 2005 11:24 AM