College of Design

Goldstein Museum of Design

Discovering Lahariya

Part of our upcoming exhibition Beyond Peacocks and Paisleys: Handcrafted Textiles of India and its Neighbors covers resist-dyed textiles. At first glance, the multiple fine straight lines in some of the patterns seemed printed. I was intrigued. Most of the time, tied resists have a telling irregular edge, caused by the fabric gathering at the tied areas. How did the artisans achieve these nearly perfect lines? According to Tie-dyed Textiles of India, by Veronica Murphy and Rosemary Crill , the essential ingredients are very fine cotton fabric, tightly rolled and bound with thread. The fine cloth would absorb dye all the way through so the color would be even all over.

OK, so I rolled and tied, then dyed some muslin and got the very fine lines. Good.

IMG_9820.jpg
Rolling the fabric

IMG_9819.jpg
Tied fabric

Then I wanted to make the classic Lahariya "wave" pattern. This chevron pattern seemed easy enough to figure out.

PaisleyTurbin-4.jpg
Example of chevron from Dr. Donald Clay Johnson's Paritosh Collection

Recalling an African tie-and-dye workshop, I knew than folding the cloth like an accordion and tying on the diagonal would make a chevron pattern. But how to tie that on a diagonal and retain those crisp lines? I like to use paper to work things out by hand.

IMG_9824.jpg
Showing how the fabric is folded to create a chevron pattern

IMG_9828.jpg
Fabric tied on the diagonal

93166-1.jpg
Example of partially untied lahariya from Donald Clay Johnson's collection

This is a very nice article. Thanks for sharing it. How long have you been running this blog?