College of Design

Goldstein Museum of Design

Mining the Collection: Showing Apparel for History of Costume

By Caitlin Cohn, Collections Assistant at GMD, and graduate student in the College of Design pursuing a PhD in Dress, History, and Culture

GMD1979005003_1-jpg634606798862454891.jpg

GMD1967002005-8-jpg634032130648970351.jpgThis spring, one of the main projects I worked on was showing objects for History of Costume, taught by Dr. Marilyn DeLong. The course covered western dress from 1750 to the present. I researched the period, compared it to our collection and pulled objects that exemplified the era. I also researched many of the garments in order to provide more information about the apparel and the time period when presenting them in class.

Given the size of GMD's apparel collection, which contains over 16,000 objects, one of the challenges was deciding which examples would be most beneficial for the students to see. Ideally, I wanted to show typical styles from the era, so that students would learn to distinguish between time periods when looking at actual objects. However, I also wanted to show a range of styles to make it clear that there was variation even among apparel made around the same time.

GMD's collection, like many museum collections, mostly includes examples of GMD1978012003-1-jpg634461433643290285.jpgdress worn by the affluent and also represents the garments that people did not wear through and chose to save. Thus, when I showed an elaborate silk dress from the 1880s, I was not demonstrating what your average woman wore. Rather, I was showing an example of what a wealthy woman could have afforded, which would have represented the style and silhouette that other women may also have imitated.

Looking at collection objects gives students a chance to see examples of what people wore in the past. Students can see details regarding materials and construction that are not visible when looking at images of garments. Paired with example showing the silhouette of the time, students gain a better understanding of what people wore and how they wore it, as well as how styles evolved.

Shoes, c. 1790, Gift of Mr. Robert Jaffee and Mr. Arthur JaffeeDress, Jean Patou, silk satin, 1928-1929, Gift of Curtiss ObergDress, silk, net, 1928-1930, Gift of Dorothy Duga; Dress, 1883-1889, silk brocade, Gift of Mrs. H. Sears Thomson

GMD1963007002-2-jpg634311156201200953.jpg GMD1963007002-7-jpg634311157036868508.jpg GMD1963007002-10-jpg634311157563736764.jpg

Hi, I do think this is a great web site. I stumbledupon it ;) I may come back once again since i have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

I¡¦ve learn some good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you set to create any such great informative web site.

Hey, mon nom est trixter108 et je suis nouveau sur ces forums. Je suppose que ce mativated me joindre consistait à obtenir des commentaires sur mon premier ordinateur construire avant que je suis sorti et a construit. J'ai 18 ans et je suis au collège. J'ai toujours été en pointe et les ordinateurs, mais malheureusement jamais trouvé le temps de construire l'un des miens. J'aime le sport et pratiquer un sport différent chaque saison. Je suis une personne très athlétique et j'aime faire de la randonnée et de découverte. Je suis également et addrenaline junkie. J'ai été parachutisme et saut à l'élastique et cherche toujours de nouvelles façons d'obtenir une poussée d'adrénaline. Quoi qu'il en soit, je n'ai jamais construit un ordinateur, mais jamais eu l'argent ni le temps de le faire. J'espère que ces forums me donner des commentaires constructifs et me motiver pour finalement buils mon propre ordinateur.