Fashion Avenue, Wet Paint, and Treadle Yard Goods Sponsor GMD's Exhibition on Sustainable Fashion that opens with a reception on January 18, 6-8 PM
For the exhibition Redefining, Redesigning Fashion: Designs for Sustainability, the Goldstein Museum of Design is pleased to have the financial and marketing support of these three popular Twin Cities retailers. Although occupying different niches, each is the "best of category" in the Twin Cities, each focuses on quality (an essential criterion for sustainability), and each has outstanding staff and service.
About the Exhibition
• Please come to the exhibition opening on Friday, January 18, 6-8 PM, McNeal Hall, Saint Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota. Free; Refreshments.
• Features 46 clothing designs by 30 different designers. A panel of judges chose from 200 entries the ones that best represent techniques for achieving sustainable fashion design.
• Designs range from whimsical (a dress made from colored pop-top tabs) to wearable (a little black dress made with no cutting and no waste of fabric).
• The exhibition is up through May 26. Gallery hours and directions: www.goldstein.design.umn.edu
• Lecture: on Thursday, February 21, Sandra Black, a noted sustainable fashion expert from London, will speak at 5 PM, 33 McNeal Hall. Free.
About the Sponsors
Fashion, Avenue the exhibition's Lead Sponsor, has two locations: 50th and France in Edina, and Lake Street in Wayzata. As the Twin Cities' leading upscale resale consignment shop selling only high- quality brand names and designers, Fashion Avenue is the opposite of "fast fashion." Its gently used selections are always current fashion and include clothing, handbags, purses, shoes, outerwear, jewelry, and accessories. The website describes their stores as "...not only a smart way to buy designer wear but to sustain the environment as well." www.fashionavenueresale.com
Wet Paint is an independent art materials store that has been on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul since 1976. Known for its huge selection (30,000 items) of high-quality materials that support art and design activities, Wet Paint is a resource for information about art and design events and classes in the Twin Cities and a locus for such groups as the Metro Sketchers. www.wetpaintart.com
Treadle Yard Goods Also on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul, Treadle Yard Goods is an independent retailer established in 1976 that specializes in beautiful natural fiber fabrics, unique buttons, notions, and patterns. Treadle also offers sewing classes and sewing machine repair. www.treadleyardgoods.com
Would you or your company like to explore sponsorship of a GMD exhibition? Go to www.goldstein.design.umn.edu and click on Get Involved/donate/sponsor.