College of Design

Goldstein Museum of Design

Gallery Staff Hits the Catwalk!

Aly_runway.jpg

Aly Gates wearing Ashton Frith. Image courtesy of Rod Hasse Photography

My name is Aly Gates and right now I'm a freshman in the Apparel Design program at the U, and I also work at the Goldstein Museum as a gallery staff member. I recently had the incredible opportunity of modeling in the annual Senior Fashion Show for designer Ashton Frith. At 6 AM on the day of the show, an Aveda stylist started to pile and tease my hair into a Marie Antoinette inspired hairstyle, dust bright purple powder onto my cheekbones, and glue rhinestones all over my face. After about 2 hours the look was completed, and I had about a 10 hour wait before the show started, which was filled with photo shoots, runway practice, and lots of sitting around. I became quite familiar with my beautiful pink dress, whose corset back was tightly laced around my waist and whose enormous layered skirt required 3 others girls' help just for me to move.The whole runway experience was an exciting blur, but I remember in detail how empowered I felt walking down the runway to bumping music under the bright lights with hundreds of eyes carefully watching me. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I'll never forget, and I couldn't have been happier to showcase Ashton's amazing work!