Recently in Project Process Category

Readings Chapter 2, 3 & 4 layouts

Lateral thinking
"Lateral thinking is a design approach that looks to change
concepts and perceptions in order to arrive at different
Solutions by looking for what is not immediately obvious, and
solutions that may not be obtainable using traditional step-bystep
logic"
I feel that this method of design is highly engaging to the viewer. It provides a deeper thought process leaving the material more absorbed.
There is a quote stating all the good things about design, goes something like this- Light is better than heavy. Small is better than large. Simple is better than complicated. and so on... I think this quote is a good thing to think about in all stages of design.

The author chose a good way to explain what the baseline analogy is by comparing it to the city blocks used to create cities and urban areas.
I feel like when pixelation is used its meant for censorship rather than good design.. but that is my opinion.
Measurement is crucial, it helps create balance and space. I like how in this reading the author compares picas and points to centimeters and millimeters, it puts type measurement into a better understanding.
I didn't know the difference of "Ems and Ens", an en is half of an em and if a letter is 24pts, its 24pt em. I did not understand how that worked until now.
I had previously learned about the golden section ratio. It is so cool to me how nature has this sense of being balanced.
The rule of thirds is very interesting to learn about, I didn't know the eye lingers towards the top left of a design.
I also have previously learned about gestalt, proximity, alignment, unity and contrast; reading these again is a nice refresher.
I found it funny that the playboy bunny logo has lost most of its beginning "values"... i mean i feel like that was bound to happen, given what type of magazine it represents.

The Grid system is a necessary tool for a successful design. I think without a grid many design layouts have a strange thing about them, like somethings off you just can tell what it is...

Pixelation in my opinion is something that should be used for censorship rather than just a normal design that doesn't need censorship.

Narratives create more of a deeper feeling and solution to a layout. Of al the different types of narratives i feel that springboard narratives may be a way to re-engage the viewer.
The images used to provide a better understanding of juxtaposing were creepy photos, one of a women who went through way to much plastic surgery and the other is of frankenstein. Comparing the two pictures helped me understand even more. The earrings of the woman and the bolts in frankenstien's neck are the hidden similarities that make juxtaposing pictures even more effective.

Meaning Behind My Poster

The poster I have chose to continue working on could have many meanings for peace and growth. My main meaning (or what I am going for ) is, the beauty and growth of something new through the roots of peace. The image is showing something even deeper with the little specks around the fruit. The feeling is like there is something new and sort of magical growing from the roots of peace. From what the class said about my poster, I think I got the message through to them, which is a great sign for me! I am glad I was successful in bringing out the meaning of my poster.

Rough drafts

My Roughs

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Project Process category.

Journal Entry is the previous category.

Reading Responses is the next category.