Recently in Reading Responses Category

Readings Chapter 2, 3 & 4 layouts

Lateral thinking
"Lateral thinking is a design approach that looks to change
concepts and perceptions in order to arrive at different
Solutions by looking for what is not immediately obvious, and
solutions that may not be obtainable using traditional step-bystep
logic"
I feel that this method of design is highly engaging to the viewer. It provides a deeper thought process leaving the material more absorbed.
There is a quote stating all the good things about design, goes something like this- Light is better than heavy. Small is better than large. Simple is better than complicated. and so on... I think this quote is a good thing to think about in all stages of design.

The author chose a good way to explain what the baseline analogy is by comparing it to the city blocks used to create cities and urban areas.
I feel like when pixelation is used its meant for censorship rather than good design.. but that is my opinion.
Measurement is crucial, it helps create balance and space. I like how in this reading the author compares picas and points to centimeters and millimeters, it puts type measurement into a better understanding.
I didn't know the difference of "Ems and Ens", an en is half of an em and if a letter is 24pts, its 24pt em. I did not understand how that worked until now.
I had previously learned about the golden section ratio. It is so cool to me how nature has this sense of being balanced.
The rule of thirds is very interesting to learn about, I didn't know the eye lingers towards the top left of a design.
I also have previously learned about gestalt, proximity, alignment, unity and contrast; reading these again is a nice refresher.
I found it funny that the playboy bunny logo has lost most of its beginning "values"... i mean i feel like that was bound to happen, given what type of magazine it represents.

The Grid system is a necessary tool for a successful design. I think without a grid many design layouts have a strange thing about them, like somethings off you just can tell what it is...

Pixelation in my opinion is something that should be used for censorship rather than just a normal design that doesn't need censorship.

Narratives create more of a deeper feeling and solution to a layout. Of al the different types of narratives i feel that springboard narratives may be a way to re-engage the viewer.
The images used to provide a better understanding of juxtaposing were creepy photos, one of a women who went through way to much plastic surgery and the other is of frankenstein. Comparing the two pictures helped me understand even more. The earrings of the woman and the bolts in frankenstien's neck are the hidden similarities that make juxtaposing pictures even more effective.

Anatomy one

The iRaq poster is very hard hitting, its deep and not much is left out to the reality of things. I like how the whole ipod idea is right there and keeps you thinking about what the meaning is and how deep it goes.
This entire paragraph talks about Parody and what it means. I like the way that it has been described "transforming a familiar graphic form by twisting its intent and giving it alter meaning..." I find it interesting how subconsciously designers recreate things they've seen before. I feel like maybe its our brain secretly thinking "well this design was good and people liked it, lets just do that same thing but twist it around."

Charity Reading Response

I agree with the thought of charity ads being a simple as can be. A complex charity ad throws off the entire concept of the charity. Its not about the ad and how cool it is, its about the charity. I think the blue-chip art for charities should not be used. I liked the red-nose charity ads for the Comic Relief, I think giving the designer more of an open mind for the ad is best if there is a conclusion of cost. The children's coloring book ad was a great tactic for people looking through the ad, it engages them more that an ad without a coloring book feature. The same with the red nose stickers that could be used as the noses on the celebrities inside the ad. I'm sure it is hard for a client to be happy with a simple ad without much of a pay, but I think the fact that they are doing it for charity should give them a self respect sort of feeling. They are doing something good for the charity.

Color theory

Reading through the color theory was a great refresher. Freshman year I learned a lot about color and the right ways of using color. I did not have knowledge on what each color represented in other countries around the world. I find it odd that purple represents death in latin america, and here it represents other things. I figured red would represent death or something close to it in another country because, I believe, in america it can represent death. I have come across dvd covers and movie posters that have red all over them to represent a "deadly rage virus" in a movie. I think the studies on color that Da Vinci did were helpful in understanding the meanings of color. I do believe without the early made color wheels, colors would not be fully understood to this day. Although some color wheels are completely different, depending on whether the colors are mixed with their complimentary colors or lights and darks.

My Thoughts About The First Reading

For a designer to have such cleverness and idealistic artistic abilities is, to me, astonishing. I enjoy looking over such creative designs. The book on optical art, published by Lars Muller, looks like it would keep me busy for a few hours. I think giving an illusion in a design or advertisement keep the viewer looking for a longer time compared to an ad or design without optical illusions.
The poster for the movie about Stalin is so accurate. The tomato representing his "clown nose" is such a perfect way to explain an opinion without using words.
The aeroplane stamps form britain are so different to any stamp I have ever seen. I do not have any recollection of seeing a stamp so weird and meaning full. The image in the clouds of the designer is a cool way to show the person behind the design. I find it a little eery that there is a face in the clouds, but like i said earlier it kept me looking at the stamp longer.
The "wildbrew" flavored beer wrapped in a tiger print is such a clever way to show its "wildbrew" taste without plastering the word all over the bottle. Who has ever seen an animal print bottle before? I sure haven't.
I really enjoyed this reading! I hope there are many more to come that resemble this reading.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Project Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.