Shifting teeth and a generation of body modification.

I guess I didn't expect my dentist to be so exuberantly confident that back in the 1980s they knew that the kids they were orthodontizing would need to wear retainers for the rest of their lives so their teeth wouldn't shift back to pre-orthodontia. I suggested that I had been deceived, and my parents as well, and we both had no idea that at 30+ years of age I would still need to wear plastic in my mouth many nights to save their investment. And an investment it was, indeed. I remember the long rides to Marshfield, or hour rides to Medford, WI, to see Dr. Something, with the great gray beard that suggested that he could do no maxilliofacial wrong. I distinctly remember the torture of the pallet plate. And getting sick on the ride home after its installation, with vomit stuck up behind it. Even without vomit, it felt like it took up half of my mouth. And there was the cream of broccoli soup incident. Again, same message.
We shouldn't be quick to judge other cultures and their body modification efforts. We do some of the strangest stuff around. I knew that each click of the pallet plate was slowly splitting my jaw apart to make room for whatever creative work the orthodontist had in mind. Is that entirely sane, definitely not. Am I glad my teeth are somewhat aligned, yes.

Sleep or Ely...

I think that the lack of sleep I'm incurring due to Ely's random sleep schedule is killing me. I am forgetting things (not that my short-term memory was so stellar before). I am in a fog most of the time. And I am nearly perpetually tired. I have to say, though, despite my being a bit skeptical about the joys of parenthood, I just look at my little son and my heart beats with his. I think about long afternoons in the easy chair with a little of the winter sun on us while I just sit and kiss his cheeks. Not that I actually get to do this in reality. And so begins the discord of the imagined parenthood versus the real parenthood. Ely is far to active to let me just sit and kiss him for a long afternoon. He is almost six months old now and he is amazing. Of course, every noise, gesture, and bowel movement seem to be the stuff of legend. I am glad that he is with Jenn and I. I'm just not sure I want to do this again.

Ely and the world sleep.

Things are quiet now. Small bulbs on our Christmas tree are burning away, creating a warm feeling, despite the frigid temperatures outside. Our five-month old typically arises at 4 a.m. But, not today. I would've preferred to sleep, but he has modified my sleeping habits. Our home, which was build in the early 1900s, has a wonderful feeling right now and I can imagine generations of children crowding around the fireplace and admiring the beautiful tree in the center of it all.

Pickled Trout

Most things can be pickled.