« Ely and the world sleep. | Main | Shifting teeth and a generation of body modification. »

Sleep or Ely...

I think that the lack of sleep I'm incurring due to Ely's random sleep schedule is killing me. I am forgetting things (not that my short-term memory was so stellar before). I am in a fog most of the time. And I am nearly perpetually tired. I have to say, though, despite my being a bit skeptical about the joys of parenthood, I just look at my little son and my heart beats with his. I think about long afternoons in the easy chair with a little of the winter sun on us while I just sit and kiss his cheeks. Not that I actually get to do this in reality. And so begins the discord of the imagined parenthood versus the real parenthood. Ely is far to active to let me just sit and kiss him for a long afternoon. He is almost six months old now and he is amazing. Of course, every noise, gesture, and bowel movement seem to be the stuff of legend. I am glad that he is with Jenn and I. I'm just not sure I want to do this again.